Monday, November 8, 2010

The trucks of Edgecombe County

"That's us with our tailgates down in the parking lot.
That's us with mud on our tires when it rained a lot.
In my mind, I can still see us now, ridin' down Buck Island Road.
It wasn't that long ago, it's apart of my soul. Yeah.
Where I come from, we rode in trucks."
-Luke Bryan

In Edgecombe County, NC (and most small, southeastern towns probably) trucks do not usually look like they do in the commercials or when they're first bought.

To qualify as a Southern truck, they need some, if not all, of the following options: 
  • a lift
  • several hunting/country-related decals
  • mud
  • new big tires
  • possible blood stains from the last hunting trip
  • a grill on the front
  • a pulling-mechanism of some sort on the front to help friends who are stuck
  • camo seat covers, steering wheel cover, paneling or back-window covering
  • a hole in the muffler or some sort of exhaust pipe
  • possible rebel flag or southern-heritage support symbol
  • a dog box
  • a tool box
  • home-made fishing pole holder made from PVC pipes
  • either an orange, camo, or Bass Pro shop hat on the dash
  • gun rack of some sort
Since it's now rifle hunting season, these trucks are found all over the sides of the roads in my home town, or parked at the local eateries at the butt-crack of dawn or even pulled along-side of one another at stop signs, blocking traffic as they talk about the days' hunting trip.

But it's part of Edgecombe County and I love it. When I lived in Wilmington, NC my freshmen year of college at UNC-W, I had honestly never seen what a factory Toyota Tacoma looked like. I thought they actually came all jacked up and equipped with all the necessary hunting/fishing accessories.

So, here's to Southern trucks (including Jeeps, SUVs and other 4x4 vehicles).


1 comment:

  1. You totally just described my brothers truck. Including the pipe fishing pole holder!

    ReplyDelete