Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Put on your creative hats.. please!

I saw this graph on GraphJam a while back and I really started thinking about the movies that have come out lately. In 2011, not a single one of the top 10 films were original movies. In fact, 8 of them were sequels and 2 were adaptions from comic book characters.

via
Now, while I certainly enjoy a good book/comic adaption and I like the sequels that came out that year, I still can't believe that the film industry is lacking that much in the creativity department. 

Don't get me wrong, I am sure it wasn't super easy adapting books/comics into films or maybe coming up with an acceptable story line to continue a series, but COME ON give me something new folks! (however, I am counting the days to the new "Great Gatsby" movie in Dec.)

I am glad to see some originality on last week's chart on IMDb the top movie is Ted followed by (of course) Magic Mike. But you'll also see that we're continuing to build on the "Madea" and "Madagascar" franchises - and that there's a book adaption (Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter) and comic adaption (The Avengers - however this movie was phenomenal, so bravo on that). There's also "Snow White & The Huntsman" which I've heard is pretty good, but is still building on an existing plot. 



4 comments:

  1. What a fascinating post. It is so true everything is a sequel or remake. I love new movies, but it is hard when you are competing against franchise movies I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! Hollywood is not as creative lately. I haven't been to the movies in a long time because not much is interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree completely! I did a post at the end of May about the summer movie previews, and how almost every one was either a remake or a sequel. Lame!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my hubby is a screenwriter, so as you can imagine this is a constant topic in our house. lol. Fabulous post, love. If you get a sec, I'd love if you'd check out my pics from the ASOS preview I attended. xo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete