Tuesday, March 26, 2013

second baby decisions.

Lately Josh and I have been getting asked that question. You know, the one everyone gets asked when their first kid starts walking and being independent... "when are y'all going to have another one?".

My first response is "my uterus is none of your business" "we're not sure yet, one day." But truthfully, Josh and I have been doing a lot of talking and praying about when/if we should have a second child.

Both of us were blessed with a younger sibling. Josh and Jordan are around 6 years apart, as are me and Deanna.

Jordan.
me and Deanna
We want Sawyer to have a playmate and best friend and we also think we are ready for a second child... almost.

Part of me says, "why not just go ahead and have one, they'll be around 3 or 4 years apart." 

But the other part of me, the negative, unsure one keeps arguing with the rational part of me. It's gone something like this (negative voice in italics and rational voice in bold).

1) The first pregnancy didn't go super well, do you really have it in you to go through it again?  Don't get me wrong, my pregnancy wasn't absolutely horrible and at no point was my child in immediate danger, but I had preeclampsia and went through a lot of horrible swelling, headaches and high blood pressure before I was almost bed-ridden, but then induced early at 37 weeks instead. BUT despite the horrible-ness of being on that Magnesium drip, having that cervical catheter and all that pitocin, I had a healthy baby AND It was a blessing he was early, because at 7 lbs. 14 oz. at 37 weeks, just imagine what a 40 week old Sawyer would have weighed.  (read Sawyer's birth story here)

via
2) You can't afford another baby, you can barely afford the one you haveBUT  We will never be able to afford babies, and we will find a way.
via

3) With your job, you won't have enough time for another oneBUT I can make time. Especially for another child.
via
So, we pray. We pray for God to guide us in the direction he wants us to go. We pray that this time around will be more healthy for both me and baby. And we stop making excuses and let God lead the way.


8 comments:

  1. I love your attitude towards it! PRAY! He will show you the future of your family and provide for you... cant wait to see the Lord work in your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um you clearly need to get on that just because practice is fun and you guys make some pretty cute looking baybeh's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this attitude! I don't think there's ever a PERFECT time to have a baby, or a second one. You just make it work and trust in God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God will give you the answer when the time is right! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayer is the answer. We hear that all the time. You are two years in, when is the baby coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is all up to the two of you and God. He will give you the second child when it is the time he chooses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally understand your struggle! I think if you feel ready, just start trying and see what happens! ;) If it's meant to be, you'll get that second baby and it will be perfect timing whenever he/she arrives!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a big decision! I eagerly (and selfishly) await your future pregnancy/baby-related posts. :)

    ReplyDelete