Friday, August 2, 2013

Pirate Nation.

I am linking up today with Erin @ Love, Fun & Football for "Football Friday"!


I feel like I can't even express just how proud I am to be an EastCarolina University alum or what it means to me to be a part of the Pirate Nation. However, I feel like sharing some of the things that set us aside from other college teams might help express my love for my team.




Our pre-game video:
Our videos before the game are absolutely amazing, the marketing team at Evolve, Inc. in Greenville does an unbelievable job. Here is the video from 2011 (I couldn't find last year's) featuring the poem "The Ghost on the Wind". 


Our Mascot:
Can you get much cooler than a Pirate? Not only do we have Pee Dee, our official Pirate...
Sawyer with Pee Dee at Meet the Pirates 2012
.....but also have this hottie right here who leads our team out of the locker room and also raises our flags. 


Our hype music:
Our pre-game fun in the stadium begins with your typical hype up music such as “Bring 'Em Out” by TI & Jay Z, “Tonight's Going to Be a Good Night” and etc. but we also have a song written just for ECU called “My Heart is Purple & Gold” that is so amazing.

We also sing "Hoist the Colors", you may have heard it in "Pirates of the Caribbean 3".


Our Fight Song:
via

Our Flags - The Jolly Roger:
Not only do we hoist our ECU Jolly Roger flag at the beginning of each game, but we also fly our flags high in the tailgate lot. 





yes, that's four flag poles on one car
Our flags - No Quarter:


At the end of the third quarter, we fly our maroon “No Quarter, No Mercy” flag as we all cross our arms in imitation of our jolly roger. Replacing our black Jolly Roger with the No Quarter flags mean we will be offering no quarter to our enemy, just like true Pirates.



Our colors:
We are so proud of our purple & gold, at the beginning of the game, and randomly throughout the game, our sides of the stadium compete take turns shouting "Purple, Gold" - my favorite memory of our purple & gold chant was walking out of the giant Bank of America stadium in Charlotte (where the Panthers play) after our victory over Virginia Tech and hearing all our fans shouting the chant as we exited the arena. 


Our Intro:
We enter our stadium through a giant Pirate skull... in purple smoke.... while Purple Haze by Jimi Hendrix is playing. It doesn't get a lot better than that. 

*side note: Josh and I entered into our reception to Purple Haze too.

Paint it Purple Fridays:
On Friday's, we wear purple (or gold). During football season, you won't see me not in our colors that often, but especially on Friday's. 

Our Alma Mater:
While we do sing our alma mater, "Hail to thy Name So Fair" at the beginning of games, we don't actually sing it until the end when everyone screams the last three words "LOVE AND PRAISE!"


As I said before, I am so very proud to me a member of the Pirate Nation. I love our team, our family of fans and our tailgates. You should come down to Greenville, North Carolina and experience for yourself though, another tailgater is always welcome!

7 comments:

  1. I know so many ECU fans and they are seriously some of the most loyal, die hard fans I know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything about this post! I can't wait for Pirate football to begin! I just need to make sure I make it to a game this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE IT!! Love all the tailgating/flag flying pics haha- Cannot believe that car with FOUR!! I'm wearing purple and gold today btw... so there is my support for you and this post ;) Thanks for linking up Lauren!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love everything about college football so I loved reading this post! I love how into you are too! Thanks so much for linking up with us... football loving ladies are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited for football season! We don't get to make it out to many tailgates now that I have graduated. However, we are already planning a VT tailgate. I am so excited!!! This post made me even more proud to be a pirate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do have to admit...even though I am a hard- core Wolfpack girl, the ECU games are absolutely amazing and are lots of fun :) I do enjoy sitting in Dowdy Ficklen Stadium every once in a while! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the new look. And I love people who are proud of their college teams.

    ReplyDelete