Wednesday, October 23, 2013

the halloween that wasn't.

I am linking up with Sarah @ Venus Trapped in Mars and Helene @ Helene in Between with a story of the Halloween that wasn't.
Venus Trapped in Mars

Once upon a time in 2005, I was a freshman at UNC-Wilmington, but I was practically already an East Carolina University student since I spent most of my weekends there (and a few week days too if I'm being honest, hence my lovely 1.56 GPA that year).

When Halloween rolled around, I knew there was NO WAY I was missing out on the famous ECU Halloween in downtown Greenville, NC. It's so famous that EliteDaily recently ranked my alma mater #1 in its list of Top 5 Best Halloween Party Schools in America (check it out here).

Well, I packed up my stuff, borrowed a strawberry shortcake costume from a friend, and headed to Greenville on Friday afternoon.

I was already in my costume Monday morning by like 10am, I was so pumped for getting to experience my first "real" college Halloween.


We never made it downtown.

Around 7 p.m. we all got takeout from Hibachi Express and started pre-gaming for the evening at Josh's apartment (which he shared with 3 other guys).

The night started great, and my husband put away more beverages than any man should ever put away (hey, it was college and we all make mistakes). Then we apartment hopped, meeting friends at different places and such. It all went down hill from there.

I had driven up from UNC-W to experience my first Halloween and my boyfriend (now husband) could barely stand. We hefted him in the car and took him back to the apartment where he got violently sick. VIOLENTLY. To the point that 911 calls were considered and neither of us could stand the smell of hibachi express food for almost a year.

He passed out at 11pm. While I sat on the couch in his apartment watching TV in my costume.

And yes, I totally beat him up while he was out. Hard.

He was so sick that I stayed in Greenville until Thursday, missing class (which wasn't that uncommon) and running out of clothes since I had only packed for a four day adventure, not a six day vacation.

Needless to say, my freshman Hallowen experience was a bust. Thankfully we've had a few more, better Halloweens since then.

Halloween in Greenville, Take 2 in 2006 with my UNC-W roomie (this one ended much better)
Sawyer's first Halloween in 2011 as a ninja turtle
Sawyer the Lion in 2012

This Halloween I will be a fairy (mainly because I just happen to have fairy wings and a tutu left from when we had our fairy tale themed Relay for Life meeting) and Sawyer shall be Mike the Knight. Which means he will have a fake sword & shield so watch out world.


12 comments:

  1. Stopping by from the linkup! That turtle costume is TOO cute!! And I'm glad you've had better Halloweens since that crappy one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He deserved to get beat up! But honestly, he probably felt bad enough the next morning to have learned his lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally relate to your Halloween being a bust! I think we all have those experiences, but I'm glad that you've had so many good ones. And Sawyer is just adorable in those costumes. I can't wait to see his knight costume. :)

    Lynsey @ Eternally Wanderlyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha aww man i would be soooo mad!! but looks like you've had some awesome halloween's since then!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh girl, so bad that one of your Halloween was ruined but look how many great Halloween you got :)
    PS: I never knew a strawberry shortcake costume could be this awesome hah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your story is so sad but at least it looks like you made up for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. His lion costume is seriously SO adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, I love babies dressed up in full body animal costumes.. so cute. But it sucks about that Halloween party! I would've been so annoyed. That strawberry shortcake costume looks like it would've been super fun to wear though--but maybe I just like knee-high socks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, those costumes are just too cute and adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that turtle outfit!!! SO CUTE!! isn't it funny how when they're so young, they have NO IDEA what they're wearing but it's really for US?!

    -kathy
    Vodka and Soda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a cute little lion outfit! Adorable!

    agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete