Thursday, January 9, 2014

Copy Cat Salads

Texas Steakhouse has an amazing salad called the "Harvest Salad" that I always order with grilled chicken on top. It has citrus fruits, poppy seed dressing and pecans so what's not to love? The $13 price tag, that's what.


So I set out to make my own version of it at home. First, I made poppy seed dressing from this Betty Crocker recipe and some sugar-roasted pecans using this recipe.

Then I made my salad:
  • Romaine lettuce
  • Sliced strawberries
  • 1/2 can of mandarin oranges
  • 1/2 can of pineapple chunks
  • 1/2 cup of dried cranberries
  • 1 grilled chicken breast
So yummy, delicious and more nutritious than most lunch meals I would usually eat. 

I loved that salad so much, that I decided to recreate another favorite salad of mine from Wendy's, the "Apple Pecan Chicken Salad". With chunks of blue cheese, green & red apples, pecans and dried cranberries, it is amazing and has similar ingredients to my other fav so I knew I could recreate it easily. 
I used the sugar-roasted pecans I made earlier and a bottle of Hidden Valley's Pomegranate Vinaigrette dressing top off these ingredients:
  • Romaine lettuce
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/2 a Granny Smith Apple (cut into wedges)
  • 1/2 a Red Delicious Apple (cut into wedges)
  • 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
  • 1 grilled chicken breast.
With these recipes for yummy salads, it's been a lot easier to eat lunch in the office, saving time & money!

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea that Texas had that salad... It sounds right up my alley... I love the Apple Pecan Chicken salad from Wendy's too.. I will have to try to recreate both of these.

    ReplyDelete