Friday, January 10, 2014

Old People Debt



This is a rant. I realize it is irrational and I may or may not sound like a spoiled brat, but I am going to just let my fingers type what my mouth is too ashamed/well-trained to say right now. 

Our heating system broke on Tuesday. Yes, the day that it was 14 degrees in Eastern NC.

Well, we need a brand new one. Insert me crying and thinking of becoming a stripper on the side (jk mom). So, we've been staying with my parents since then with hopes of getting back into our house tonight.

While I am happy we are able to put a new unit in (with help from our credit card), I am also a little angry.

I work hard and I love my job, so why does it feel like we are always struggling to make ends meet? Granted, we got paid early in December so that long stretch from 12/23/13 to 1/15/14 is supppper hard, but why can't we spend money in FUN ways!?

I want to have cool, young people debt that comes from going on too many vacations or getting a little crazy in the Lilly store, not from multiple hospital stays for my toddler or from school loans and tires!

So, I try to focus on what we do have. How blessed we are to even have a roof over our head (even if it is a cold roof right now) and how grateful I should be for the things I have that others go without.

Then I remind myself of this:

"Then he said to them, 'Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.'" Luke 12:15 (NIV)


5 comments:

  1. Lauren- I love this. I was just thinking about this the other day when I bought tires for my car. Yes, it is hard, and as much as I want that Lilly dress and new handbag, I also realized that I was making an investment for my health, safety, and well-being...and that kinda made me feel better. That new handbag may have lasted me a few months, but tires would have kept me safe for several years. Maybe looking at it that way will help some.

    Keep your head up! You are doing the right thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with you! It's not any easier either when you look at Instagram and Facebook and start seeing what everyone else is doing and buying. Whenever I get down about yet another brake job on my car, a much higher than expected electric bill, etc, I remind myself that at least we can afford to take care of the necessities and most of the annoying surprise bills. Pride yourself on the fact that you're working hard and taking care of your family! (Then hopefully one day, all that extra fun money will come rolling in ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh god I could write a novel about this. I feel like every single time we are caught up (which is almost never) then someone needs new ties for $500 or there is a car accident or something breaks. It's infuriating. I totally hear you...it's not fair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are living in an apartment right now while trying to sell hour house. It has been so difficult to pay for both. The only bright side is that we just paid off our last debt a month before we moved. The only way were were able to do it was using Dave Ramsey's plan and focusing intensively on our budget and putting as much toward our debt as possible. It was SOOO hard not being able to even think about vacations or new purchases while we focused on our debt. I completely understand your pain girl, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Now I get to enjoy a Lilly purchase every once in a blue moon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how honest you are being in this post. I have been through that lately. I had some repairs on the Jeep, medical bills and home repairs in the last 3 months. It will all get better before we both know it.

    ReplyDelete