Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Read with Me: Cassandra Clare

I have been obsessed with Cassandra Clare books lately.

It all started with reading the first book in The Mortal Instruments series, City of Bones. 

I liked City of Bones. It had a great story line, and left you on the edge of your seat for the next book in the series, City of Ashes. But, for me,  it was missing something. The characters are 16-18 so they're a little younger than the characters in other books I read and therefore it was quite as... steamy as the others. The writing, oh the writing is amazing though, without the steaminess. It's original and the characters quote Tennyson and Dickens for goodness sake. 

Check out a synopsis of the book here (I would write my own summary, but I am terrible at it because I get too excited and spill important spoilers & get way too detailed). 

I mentioned that I loved the series and was sad about the lack of passion and sexual tension to which my friend Bridgette said, "Oh, well you have to read her prequel to The Mortal Instruments, a trilogy called The Infernal Devices then." 

Thank you, Bridgette.


The Infernal Devices books were unbelievable. I read all three of them in the span of two days and stayed up all hours of the night finishing them. I got so emotionally attached to the characters and apparently got way too into the story since I woke Josh up twice with gasps & "oh nos!" while reading. I lost sleep over these characters and was so sad when I finished Clockwork Princess the other night. 

Here is the synopsis of Clockwork Angel, according to Goodreads: "The year is 1878. Tessa Gray descends into London’s dark supernatural underworld in search of her missing brother. She soon discovers that her only allies are the demon-slaying Shadowhunters—including Will and Jem, the mysterious boys she is attracted to. Soon they find themselves up against the Pandemonium Club, a secret organization of vampires, demons, warlocks, and humans. Equipped with a magical army of unstoppable clockwork creatures, the Club is out to rule the British Empire, and only Tessa and her allies can stop them..."

I can't tell you enough how much you should read the trilogy. I admire Cassandra Clare's work so much and can't get over her amazing attention to detail. 




Want to know what else I'm reading? Check out my Shelfari at the bottom of my blog (you have to go to the home page to see it) !


2 comments:

  1. I want to read these!! I've been trying to decide what my next book should be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are my favorite books! I stayed up till the early mornings reading the all mortal instruments books! They are AMAZING. Also like you said the writing is amazing too, and the "action" scenes are pretty awesome too. :)

    ReplyDelete