Monday, February 24, 2014

Weekend in Wilmo

This weekend, I got to spend time in my old stomping grounds (if you can even call them that since I only survived in Wilmington for one year - I get way too distracted by good shopping & great beaches) visiting my sister at UNC-Wilmington.

We got in late Friday night so we just ate at the Ale House before my parents dropped me off at Deanna's on-campus apartment and they went to their hotel. Her little tiny room with the lofted single bed gave me just enough space to put a single blow-up mattress down.



Saturday we went to the Baptist Campus Ministry's pancake breakfast that Dee was helping with and then spent the rest of the day shopping Mayfaire. I somehow managed to withstand the Lilly sale at Palm Garden but couldn't resist a new dress & necklace from Fedora boutique.
via

After shopping my lovely knee was screaming at me pretty loudly so we went back to Deanna's and I acted like a college student and took a mid-day nap that lasted 2 hours.

After our glorious nap, we ventured to Sweet n Savory Cafe, an absolutely delicious restaurant and bakery near Wrightsville Beach. 
via

I had their clam chowder and then a grilled chicken salad with apples, dried cranberries, bacon and brie-filled croutons with a honey-balsamic dressing. It was heaven, and so was the amazing Mondavi Moscato d’Oro wine we had with it. They also had great live music, if you've yet to hear a folk/indie version of Johnny & June Cash's "Jackson" I highly recommend it. 

Also, my dad is a great photographer... until you hand him a smart phone. Note the finger in the corner and the blurriness here. 






Deanna and I caught the late showing of "Frozen" Saturday night and were blown away. I had been dying to see it after hearing such great reviews and I am glad I did. However, I have now been singing "Let it Go" and "Do You Want to Build a Snowman" continuously since then. I am obsessed with the amount of sass the princesses had and Olaf totally made the movie. 

Sunday morning we all went to Deanna's church, Wrightsville Beach Baptist and it was truly amazing. We attended the celebration-style service which is more contemporary and the music was amazing as was the participation by the congregation. I am so glad Deanna has somewhere she can feel at home when she worships. 

Luckily we had time to grab lunch at one of my favorite places, The Oceanic. They have a she-crab soup that I could forever and they are right on the beach. 

via
And it gave me a chance to at least put my feet in the sand, knee brace and all. 

How was your weekend?


3 comments:

  1. Since I have already stalked all your photos on instagram, I will say it again- Wilmington is the best! Also you got my favorite salad from sweet and savory delish! I'm so sorry about your knee and hope it gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss dorm room mid afternoon naps - they were THE best!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a good weekend! I love The Oceanic... their Cucumber DIll salad dressing is amazing.

    ReplyDelete