Friday, February 14, 2014

Why We Work

Josh and I have been "together" since 2005 and married since 2009 and we still work hard every day to make our relationship work and to be the best husband and wife we can be. But there are a few key things that really make us work.

2005 to 2013

We work because we don't keep score. 

We don't say things like "but I let you go out with your friends last night while I watched the baby, so now it's my turn!". I don't keep a tally of how often he vacuums nor does he keep track of how overloaded the laundry basket gets (or how often he has to search through the dryer for clean underwear I haven't folded yet).


We work because we admit when we were wrong.

We bicker and fight, because we are both strong-willed, opinionated people. But, we also admit when one of us was in the wrong. We apologize if we said something hurtful when we were mad or if we were way too adamant about being right. I am a know-it-all and I know it, so it is often me that has to give the "you were right, I was wrong" speech.


We work because we work at it

Marriage can be work. Fun work, but sometimes hard work. We tell each other when something is going well or if there is something that needs to change. For example, Josh learned that I need a minute when I walk in the door and not to say, "what's for supper?" before I even put my pocketbook down.


We work because we balance our duties

Being a mom, wife, sister, director of marketing, relay for life co-chair and friend is a heavy load, but Josh has an even heavier load with his multiple committees he sits on for work and being the head of a department. So, we try our hardest to make sure we don't bring too much work home with us and on the weeks when we have multiple meetings, we find time to be together, even if it means staying up later than usual and eating dinner at 9pm on TV tables so we can catch up on our DVR, eat and talk at the same time.



What makes you and your significant other work?



4 comments:

  1. Oh yeah- no keeping score is important!! I like your list. Happy V Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Valentines day girl! My husband and I are complete opposites. He is the solid rock and I'm the spontaneous one. It works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha my husband have managed to devise a system of keeping score and admitting when we're wrong at the same time. It's weird how what works is such a unique thing for every couple. Happy valentine's day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um I could barely concentrate on this post because holy tan legs! So jealous.

    ReplyDelete