Friday, March 21, 2014

hearing Jesus in the bathroom

I can't believe I have never shared this story on my blog, even though most of my friends have probably heard it more than once.

In 2008, I was finishing up my fall semester (and last semester) of college at ECU. One morning bright and early, I headed to campus about 45 minutes before my 8am class so I could print off a 40 page paper for my Advanced Composition Writing class (one of my favorite papers actually about drugs, the Beatles and the symbolism in the movie "Across the Universe").

Well, my first stop was to the ladies room in the Bate building. I was the only one there and had to actually turn on the lights in the bathroom when I walked in so I knew without a doubt that I was alone in there.

I sat down to pee and all of a sudden heard a voice singing "Softly and Tenderly". If you don't know the hymn, it has a kind of haunting melody and says "Softly and tenderly Jesus is calling,calling for you and for me; See, on the portals He’s waiting and watching, watching for you and for me. Come home, come home, you who are weary, come home; Earnestly, tenderly, Jesus is calling, calling, O sinner, come home!"

I sat there for a minute, looked under the stalls to see who else was in there and saw no feet. I was still alone in the bathroom. But the voice was still singing.

I shut my eyes and out loud said, "Lord?", but got no response except the voice still singing. I thought, "Am I having a stroke? Is God trying to talk to me in the bathroom? Am I dead?".

Thoroughly freaked out, I quickly exited the stall and walked out of the ladies room (still hearing the singing) and ran smack into the lady janitor who had been cleaning the men's bathroom.  She was singing "Softly and Tenderly" very loudly. I had apparently heard her through the wall while she cleaned the bathroom.

I did get an A on that paper though....


2 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAH this is the best! It's like when I thought there was a burglar in the house and it was the smoke alarm

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH this is the BEST FREAKING STORY EVER!! I could totally just see myself, sitting there, peeing, asking "Lord?" OMG! This is just too freaking great!! And yay for an A on that paper!!!! hahaha

    ReplyDelete