Friday, October 17, 2014

why can't I be normal?


One day, I'll take a legit bump picture when I am not standing in front of a row of toilets.. maybe.

I am 35 weeks pregnant. My hands, wrists, ankles, feet and NOSE are swollen. I am irritable. I keep dong stupid stuff like thinking I hit "send" on a call and holding the phone to my ear for a minute without realizing that it isn't even dialing. But, I wouldn't change anything.

I miss having the energy (and ability) to play and chase after Sawyer, but we have enjoyed some less active activities lately like baking cookies, painting, and puzzles.

Speaking of lacking energy, I did have one yucky pregnancy-related thing happen this week. Monday night I woke up around 11pm (I'd been asleep since 8:45pm, oops) choking on acid reflux. While I struggled with heartburn and such through both this pregnancy and with Sawyer, I have never choked as horribly as I did Monday. I coughed, wheezed, swallowed, tried to drink but just could not catch my breath. Twenty minutes later I was still wheezing and short-winded despite having taken my reflux meds, popping two Pepcid Completes, and drinking some milk.

I talked to my OB on call (who just happened to be my favorite one from my practice) and he told me I had probably managed to inhale some reflux and since I already had an appointment the next day (for my BP and swelling) that I just needed to make sure I slept sleeping up to avoid any more choking.

I woke up the next morning with a horrible headache from coughing so much the night before, a very sore chest and a nasty rattle in my chest. I felt like I was back in middle school, struggling with my asthma.

When I got to the doctor, the OB said I had definitely inhaled some reflux and put me on an Albuterol inhaler and a steroid... but then he noticed my ankle swelling. My left leg has been significantly more swollen than my right but I hadn't really thought much of it, blaming it on how I sit/stand but the difference was enough and the weird red pigment my leg has taken on was strange enough for the doc to order a doppler scan of my leg to rule out a blood clot.

so. gross.

My first thought was, "why can't I just be normal? Why can't I have a regular, run-of-the-mill pregnancy where I am just fat for 9 months and then BAM a baby comes out?". Then I felt so petty because having a gallbladder removed at 22 weeks, borderline gestational diabetes, and choking on reflux aren't really horrible things. Are they fun? No. But there are pregnant women out there suffering from ailments so much worse!

The earliest I could see a radiologist was four hours later, so I headed home and Josh left work. We relaxed at the house, I took a nap since I had slept so terribly the night before, then he drove me to get the scan. About 20 minutes later we learned I had no blood clot! With my BP climbing, but not too high yet and the swelling going down, I am also still preeclampsia free!

So now I just have to deal with the nasty cough from the reflux just hanging out in my lungs and the shakiness that comes with puffing on an inhaler every 4 hours.

Remind me to tell Brody about all these things one day whenever he complains about something I do. I am not above guilting him over the hassle he was ;).

5 comments:

  1. Oh gosh I'm so sorry you're dealing with all of that! But you look SUPER CUTE pregnant :) Almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I think you can totally guilt him when needed :) This is A LOT but I'm glad for most part he is happy and healthy in there! So so close!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! No fun! So glad all is OK :) And, I love your bump pic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my Lauren! I hope your resting up today and enjoying your Sunday!! I love your bump pics on campus they always remind me of my years at Rawl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I hate to hear that. I am so glad you don't have a clot.

    ReplyDelete