Tuesday, March 10, 2015

big steps.

Josh and I are moving. This time it isn't just 15 minutes down the road to another small town in our county. This time, we're packing our things and moving a little over two hours away to the beautiful coastal town of Emerald Isle, North Carolina.

via

Joshua's career goal has always been to end up at the coast since being a planner and zoning person around the beach is a lot more adventurous than being one at home. Well, when Josh was invited to apply for a planning position opening in Emerald Isle (where we have spent many a week/weekend during the summers), he jumped on it and yesterday morning he accepted it.

our first summer in EI together in 2005

This is a huge step for us. While I've lived in Wilmington for one year for college (two hours from home) and we've both lived in Greenville (30 minutes from home), those were temporary situations, this is a very permanent one.

Not only is the distance from our families a big deal for us, but it's also a big deal for our kids. Josh and I were blessed to live just minutes from both sets of our grandparents and we cherish the memories of spending every weekend having "sleepovers" with them growing up. While I hate to deprive my kids of having their grandparents living close, I also think that the weekends we drive up to spend time with them will be even more special since they won't see them as often, and it is only a two hour drive.

Not having grandparents nearby will also be a big challenge for me and Josh since we will no longer have family just a phone call away when we having meetings and need someone to pick up the boys or one of them is sick and we can't miss a day of work. We have been so grateful that our parents (and grandparents) have stepped right up whenever we've needed them, so that luxury will be sorely missed. We will also have to hunt for a daycare and preschool for Sawyer & Brody which is honestly the biggest worry I have about this whole situation. Our amazing babysitters are like family to us and we hate to pull the boys from the great environments they have, but I trust we'll figure something out.

Speaking of meetings, daycare, and work, this big move also means I will eventually be leaving my job at ECU. While it has always been my dream to work at my alma mater and I have truly enjoyed every month I've spent at my current job, I know that this opportunity for Josh is once in a lifetime and the thought of living at the beach and raising my children in that atmosphere sounds amazing. There are a few job openings I'm interested in on the coast, so we'll see where they go. For now, I will stay on ECU and even commute if I have to until I find something at the beach.

This is such a giant leap for us and a great chance for our boys to have a better education since the schools in Carteret County are amazing and we were struggling with where exactly we were going to send Sawyer & Brody once the time came for school in Edgecombe County.

Honestly, I thought I'd be a lot more anxious about how we're going to actually make this happen, but I'm not. I am a little stressed over finding a new home (since there is NO WAY we can afford a house at the beach comparable to the house we have now for same price) and selling ours, as well as figuring out the logistics of when we'll move and the timing of a move, but I feel like it's meant to be and God will make a way for us.

So If I'm a little absent from the blog, it's because I am trying to figure out what our next steps are and preparing for this adventure. Please pray for us!

7 comments:

  1. Congrats!! I know you will love it there once you get all settled in. Emerald Isle is a beautiful place. We did the same thing last year when we up and moved. I know it has got to be 100% more difficult with kids. I will be keeping yall in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting!! Congratulations! I can't wait to hear all of your stories...but also know that it will be difficult to move away from family. Y'all will do great...and Carteret County is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, how exciting for you all! It sounds like a wonderful opportunity! I'm sure you'll be able to find great child care for your boys and everything else will fall into place. I'm sure it will be hard leaving family, but two hours isn't too far at all, it's a doable day trip if needed! I'm anxious to hear about how everything falls into place for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a great opportunity!! I hope everything falls into place and you love your new home!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on that awesome opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! That is so exciting. And everything else will fall into place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. aww congrats!! Such a beautiful area :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete