Tuesday, August 11, 2009

So much to say, so little time to say it

I just want to write, my life goal has always been to write for Southern Living, write a book, then retire nice and filthy rich... maybe I should say life dream, because I am not so sure this goal can be reached. I work at a VERY small-town newspaper not writing, selling. Ads. Do you how hard it is to sell ads in this day and time and at a newspaper with a circulation of about $4,000? Not only do I sell ads, or TRY to sell ads, I don't even sell them in the town the paper is located.
I don't even like to read our newspaper and I LIVE in town, why would anyone else want to?
So, I look for other jobs, get told I'm "over-qualified" to be a receptionist, too "inexperience" (a.k.a. young) to be a Director or Manager of anyone, and I just refuse to make less than $15/hr or $22k/yr with an effin' bachelor's degree. I hated school and busted my butt to get a degree in 3 1/2 years, I just don't want to settle for something like "Administrative Assistant to the Receptionist of the CFO" or "Customer Service Representative". My friends say, "Oh Lauren, $8/hr isn't really that bad." well, they don't have to pay a mortgage or any other bills, nor do they have a slight addiction to designer jeans & Monkee's of Greenville.
I just want to write, or be the person BUYING the ads for a client, not selling them. I want to create slogans, come up with inventive ideas for a companies exposure, plan events for someone, handle public relations, WRITE, or anything that involves me getting to put on a power suit, tell someone why they need me, and being creative.
But instead... I drive around all day in my poor, beat-up Rodeo and attempt to peddle advertising for a slowly dying newspaper in a town where nobody has heard of my newspaper. Rock out.

No comments:

Post a Comment