Monday, December 29, 2014

End of leave...

This is my last week of maternity leave, and none of these five weeks have gone as I thought they would. 

I spent the first 4 days of leave taking Brody to the doctor and to the hospital lab for bilirubin checks. While he was nowhere near as yellow as his brother, his levels were a little high and with Sawyer's history they wanted to be sure to keep it in check. 



a much less yellow baby

Then my belly button started really bothering me.  At first I attributed it to postpartum pain, but 2 weeks after he was born I decided that with the pain getting worse with activity or any time I had to strain or use my abs, it needed to be addressed. Sadly they discovered I had an umbilical hernia. With it causing me so much pain it was decided that a surgical repair was necessary. Since my abs had split from each other (a condition called diastasis) because of how big my belly had gotten (creating a nice big space that would make re-herniation way too easy) my surgeon decided to go in both laparoscopically and with an incision so he could place some mesh in my belly to hopefully keep my hernia from coming back. Surgery went okay, my recovery was slow and my 9 different holes in my body were crazy sore. I even ended up back In the emergency room in some major weird pain one night. 



so sexy.
Thankfully our amazing family stepped right in to help us with Sawyer and Brody as I tried to recover at home. My mother in law and mama helped us with the boys while I underwent surgery and the resulting recovery, my friends brought dinner by the house and visited, and my amazing husband has balanced keeping up the house and handling pretty much anything involving Sawyer, and my sweet sister has spent most of her winter break carting me to and fro for doctor appointments and errands.

Sadly, I cant lift over ten to 15 pounds for 3 more weeks, so going anywhere by myself with my already 11 pound baby and that crazy heavy carseat is out of the question. So I've been trapped at my house.


But it hasn't all been bad! I've had great visits from friends, I discovered two shows that I am now addicted to (Once Upon a Time and Walking Dead), and I've had some great bonding time with Brody.


Speaking of the big guy, he is a great baby. While he is gassy like his brother and loves a good long cry between 8pm and 10pm every night, he sleeps much better than Sawyer did (and does).


I hope you all had an amazing Christmas and will have a great New Year! I hope to get back to blogging more regularly once I return to work and can resume a normal schedule!




1 comment:

  1. I can't believe your leave is almost over! I hope you guys had an amazing Christmas; you look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete