Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Recipe Week - #2 Everyone's Favorite

Second recipe for the week is actually the recipe for a yummy meal of Bacon-Chicken Wraps and Roasted Italian Potatoes

 My little sister's boyfriend John John said that if this meal was the last meal he ever ate, he'd be okay with it, so apparently it's not just my and Josh's favorite.

First, the Bacon-Chicken Wraps. I saw this recipe in "Her...Magazine" when I was an intern there. The magazine recipe was actually for making little chicken bites wrapped in bacon, but I thought that it would make a delicious main course if you just left the chicken breasts whole.

Ingredients:
4 chicken breasts (or 1.5 lbs. of chicken breasts)
1 pack of bacon  (or 1 lb. bacon)
1 1/3 cup brown sugar
4 Tbsp. chili powder

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix brown sugar and chili powder in shallow bowl/dish - I use a small casserole pan
3. Dredge chicken breasts, one by one, in sugar/chili mix
4. Wrap the sugar/chili coated chicken in bacon (2 slices per breast) and secure with toothpicks
5. Re-dredge the bacon-wrapped chicken in the sugar/chili mix
6. Place the bacon-chicken wraps in either a casserole dish that has been HEAVILY sprayed with non-stick spray (trust me, they stick really badly if you don't spray that sucker down).
7. Bake the chicken for 30 to 35 minutes or until the bacon is crispy.

Okay, now on to the Roasted Italian Potatoes. Sadly I don't really have exact measurements for you on this one since I change it a little each time I them - but I can tell you the gist of how I prepare them.

Ingredients
1.5 lb. bag of red potatoes
2 cups Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 Tbsp. (divided) Italian Seasoning
3 Tbsp. (divided) Oregano
3 tsp. (divided) Garlic Powder
2 tsp. (divided) Salt

Directions
1.  Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Cut potatoes into 1/8's (easiest way is to cut them in half the fat way then those halves into fourths)
3. Put potatoes into GIANT bowl that has a lid
4. In bowl, pour about 2 cups of olive oil and then add 3 Tbsp. of Italian seasoning, 2 Tbsp. Oregano, 2 tsp. Garlic Powder and 1 tsp. Salt.
5. Cover bowl and shake everything around in order to try and coat each potato wedge with the oil and spices. (make sure bowl is closed tight or catastrophe ensues)
6. Open bowl and put potatoes on a baking sheet that has been covered in tin foil.
7. Spread the potatoes out evenly on sheet then cover one more time with remaining spices (1 Tbsp. Italian Seasoning, 1 Tbsp. Oregano, 1 tsp. Garlic and 1 tsp. Salt).
8. Bake in oven for around 30 to 45 minutes - it depends on how soft you want them to be - I usually just keep tasting them to see if they're soft enough for me.

We usually enjoy this meal with stir-fried zucchini and squash or garden peas and of course delicious Sister Schubert rolls. I hope you like it!

1 comment: