My absolute favorite thing to order at the Cheesecake Factory isn't a glorious, cheesy dessert - it's their Orange Chicken.
It is absolutely to-die-for but since it is pretty pricey and the nearest Cheesecake Factory is in Raleigh (about an hour away) - I decided to find a similar recipe to make for Joshua and I.
I tweaked this recipe a little from the original at Blog Chef because I couldn't find a few of the ingredients locally and because I don't like onions - also, this recipe is a LOT easier to make than one would think, especially if you have a fry daddy.
So without further ado, I present Orange Chicken.
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1-1/2” cubes)
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
Oil (for frying)
1 ½ cups water
2 tablespoons orange juice
¼ cup lemon juice
2 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
1 cup packed brown sugar
½ teaspoon minced ginger
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
1) Combine flour, salt, and pepper.
2) Dip chicken in egg mixture and shake in flour mixture to coat.
5) Blend well over medium heat for a few minutes then stir in brown sugar, orange zest and ginger garlic.Bring to a boil.
6) In another bowl combine 3 tablespoons of cornstarch with 1/4 cup of water and mix thoroughly.
7) Slowly stir cornstarch mixture into sauce until it thickens.
8) Pour sauce over breaded chicken, and if desired add red pepper flakes.
|This person added chives - I don't.|
The hardest part is just cutting up the chicken to fry I swear. It tastes GREAT over white rice and I make it with Gluten-Free flour and soy sauce so Josh can eat it too without feeling yucky.