Monday, July 28, 2014

slowly recovering and book reviews

I am finally crawling out from under the mountain of "to do" items on my list after recovering from ole Gary's removal two weeks ago. I have felt like such a wuss during my post-surgical weeks because I really thought I would bounce back a lot quicker. I was wrong. I made it to work Wednesday and Friday for only four hours each day and attempted to respond to 158 emails (that is not an exaggerated number, I legit had received that many in the 5 work days I was out). Sadly I not only missed lots of emails and meetings but also a baby shower (that I was helping throw) for our friends Laura & Samuel and a fun dinner with six of my girlfriends.

Thankfully, my time at home wasn't all bad. I finished Mad Men season six, read two Gillian Flynn books and got some prep work done for some nursery crafts! And now, my thoughts on "Gone Girl" and "Sharp Objects", both by Gillian Flynn.


I'd heard lots of different opinions about "Gone Girl" so I was excited with my friend Kate let me borrow it and make my own judgement. One thing for sure, is that it was was by far one of the most addictive books I've ever read. I can't say a lot about the plot without revealing some major spoilers, but here is a plot summary from Flynn's website:

"On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick Dunne’s clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-Year Nick Dunne isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but hearing from Amy through flashbacks in her diary reveal the perky perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer? As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. With his twin sister Margo at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn’t do it, where is that beautiful wife? And what was left in that silvery gift box hidden in the back of her bedroom closet?"

I found myself disliking a lot of characters in this novel, and often saying aloud "this chick is crazy". It was a great read and I thoroughly enjoy Flynn's writing "voice", but was not pleased with how the book just kind of ended. I felt like it has been building up to a climactic ending and then just fizzled. But definitely worth the read!



When I finished "Gone Girl" I immediately started "Sharp Objects", hungry for more of Flynn's way with words. I was even more anxious to get into the book when I saw that the main character was a newspaper reporter (my former profession). Here is the plot summary, once again from Flynn's website: 

"WICKED above her hipbone, GIRL across her heart
Words are like a road map to reporter Camille Preaker’s troubled past. Fresh from a brief stay at a psych hospital, Camille’s first assignment from the second-rate daily paper where she works brings her reluctantly back to her hometown to cover the murders of two preteen girls.
NASTY on her kneecap, BABYDOLL on her leg
Since she left town eight years ago, Camille has hardly spoken to her neurotic, hypochondriac mother or to the half-sister she barely knows: a beautiful thirteen-year-old with an eerie grip on the town. Now, installed again in her family’s Victorian mansion, Camille is haunted by the childhood tragedy she has spent her whole life trying to cut from her memory.
HARMFUL on her wrist, WHORE on her ankle
As Camille works to uncover the truth about these violent crimes, she finds herself identifying with the young victims—a bit too strongly. Clues keep leading to dead ends, forcing Camille to unravel the psychological puzzle of her own past to get at the story. Dogged by her own demons, Camille will have to confront what happened to her years before if she wants to survive this homecoming."

Yes, those words "WICKED above her hipbone, GIRL across her heart" are literal, the main characters had a very unique form of self mutilation, she actually carved words into her skin instead of just cuts. This story was even better than "Gone Girl" in my opinion. It was equally dark, made me constantly second-guess my own assumptions about the identify of the murderer of the preteen girls, and was once again written wonderfully. I will say that the only problem with the story was that it left me feeling very disturbed. Like, all I could do was think about this book. I couldn't sleep without thinking about it. In fact, I had to finally sit up in bed (which I was sleeping in alone due to fear of Josh or Sawyer hitting one of my five incisions) and read an excerpt from the bible to try to clear my head. 

I highly recommend both books! You can check out other books I've read and enjoyed on my "Shelfari" shelf at the bottom of my blog!

3 comments:

  1. Glad your slowly feeling better. I read Sharp Objects and agree, it was very disturbing. I haven't read Gone Girl yet but really need too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're getting better! I haven't read either of these but am always looking for new stuff. Especially because Gone Girl is shaping up to be a kickass movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh woman. Recovering from that surgery is a bitch. It seems like such a simple thing, but it is NOT! By the 3rd day, I thought I was feeling human. But then you get up and start moving around and zap! There goes all your energy! Take it easy! My doctor told me it could take up to 6 months to get my normal energy level back (and I wasn't pregnant)! Hope you're feeling better!! <3

    ReplyDelete