Wednesday, July 30, 2014

extra pieces

As you may have already read in this post, our spare bedroom is going to become a nursery in November so we have slowly been figuring out what to do with all the things we store in there and extra pieces of furniture with no home. And when I saw 'we" I mean "me" since all of my folded-in-the-dresser clothes were housed in the spare room in my dresser from my college apartment (and most of my hangup stuff was in that closet). 

the messy spare bedroom before all the moving around
To begin the clearing, I sold my beautiful Lilly Pulitzer comforter, recovered the upholstered headboard with a maroon sheet to use in Sawyer's room, promised my sister my white desk, and took down all my girly pink & green decor. 

Then I had to figure out what to do with my clothes. Knowing that I couldn't sacrifice an entire dresser full of storage for clothes, I convinced my lovely husband to paint the spare room's dresser & nightstand (since my little sister is about to move into a house with friends in Wilmington and could use our old nightstand) to match our current bedroom furniture and then just move both pieces into our room. 

the master bedroom
The dresser got tucked into the corner behind our door where we had a wicker love seat, that served as a storage spot for Josh's discarded clothes usually (the below picture is from when we first moved in, hence the over-the-toilet shelf sitting on the floor). 


I re-painted the pink and green knobs that were already on the furniture and just moved some pictures I already had on my nightstand and in the bathroom, painted a glass container to match the knobs and hung up a bird picture that had just been sitting in my closet needing a home. 


Sadly, as an idiot college student I threw out the handles that went with this dresser convinced I could find some cuter ones to fit. I was wrong. The holes on the dresser are a weird distance apart so in order to buy some handles to fit the drawers I would need to putty the existing holes and then have Josh drill new ones. That isn't going to happen (aka aint nobody got time fo' dat). So for now, there is grosgrain ribbon in the holes serving as handles. And yes, those are the throw pillow and shams stacked beside the dresser, because making the bed is hard.


You see that big strip of black fabric behind the nightstand? That's a blackout curtain that is literally thumb-tacked to the window casing. We already had the curtains from the hold house and I really need to recover them to match our bedroom (not to mention hang them) but for now, they are keeping the room sun-light free in the mornings and that's all we need. 

I am so pleased with how the dresser and nightstand came out (and extra pleased that I wasn't the one who had to paint them). Now we have more or less cleared out the spare room, the fun crafty things for the nursery begin!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, my gosh your bedroom is gorgeous! Also? The ribbon idea was GENIUS! How did you even think of that!? #ProblemSolved! I'm a sucker for bright, colorful and white!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Amazing what some re-arranging and new colors will do. Our nursery is going to be a dual baby/guest room too so I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ribbon idea is really cute. I wouldn't worry about finding knobs it looks great the way it is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, so fun! it looks great! I love white furniture, it's so pretty, simple, and clean [even if the room may not be the tidiest :]. And how nice of your hubby to paint it all for you!

    ReplyDelete