Thursday, August 28, 2014

I passed, kinda.

So you may have seen this glorious picture on my Instagram on Tuesday:


Yours truly failed the one-hour glucose screening test (which is just a routine check of a pregnant lady's blood sugar level in reaction to a nasty, nasty glucose solution). I failed that joker the first time around with Sawyer too, so I wasn't too surprised when I got the call saying my level was elevated and I needed to take the longer, 3-hour glucose tolerance test.

So, despite really needing to be at work on Tuesday morning (since it was our first day of classes), I grabbed my iPad and headed to the lab to hang out for almost four hours and drink a super dosage of the glucose drink and get my blood drawn every hour for 3 hours, all while fasting since midnight the night before. Needless to say, I was hungry, ill and super dehydrated by the time I left that place.

Later that night, I got a call from my doctor's nurse saying, "Well, you passed.... technically." I replied with a "yay?!?". Apparently I managed to pass the glucose tolerance test with a blood sugar level of 179... the absolute highest result you can get and still be considered passing. So, if I had a level of 180, I would have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes.

So what does that mean kinda pass mean? Well on the plus side, it means I don't have to take insulin. But on the not-so-plus side it means I am going to have to limit my carb and sugar intake even more than I already have, and I'll have to get a finger prick every time I visit the doctor now to check my levels.

It's weird, in all the different times I have dieted or watched what I ate, I never really looked at carb & sugar levels, just calories so I was pretty surprised to find some of the things I thought were fairly low in carbs & sugars were actually reasonably high. Who knew banana chips and dried apples were actually so carb-y?

So, I went and stocked up on some veggies, hummus, Wholly Guacomole dip, low-carb chips and crackers and some Laughing Cow cheese wedges. We'll see how this goes!




2 comments:

  1. I glad you passed. That guacamole is the best on almost anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great that you passed but a bummer that you have to limit your carbs and sugar. I have my test on Tuesday - not looking forward to drinking that sugary drink.

    ReplyDelete