Friday, May 10, 2013

Relay fo' Life

Part of my job as the Communications & Community Relations Coordinator with my school district is to serve as the fundraising chair for the two campaigns our district participates in (United Way & Relay for Life). But, even if it wasn't part of my actual job to raise money for the American Cancer Society through Relay for Life, you would still find me out on that track and football field all night long getting my Relay on.

I can't think of a single person who HASN'T been affected by cancer in some way. I personally have lost two grandparents to the disease along with several aunts and uncles. Thank God that treatment exists and that my amazing Mema Dean (read about her here) has beat this disease not once, not twice, but THREE times.
Mema with Sawyer at Christmas
At our Relay for Life event you can expect fun (and important) things like:

hearing an entire football field of people go quiet and watch a memorial video for those we've lost to such a horrible disease followed by a VICTORY lap of brave survivors....

via

beautiful candles and luminaries lit in honor or memory of cancer patients shining bright in the darkness when the sun goes down...
via
line-dancing at 1am...
sorry the shakiness, I was mid dance.
great campsites with important information about cancer awareness and fun themes....

our "All I Want for Christmas is a Cure" themed campsite in 2012
hanging our "Beach Bum Birthday Bash" banner for the 2011 theme "Beachin' for a Cure"

this year's theme was "Washing Away Cancer" so I made a washer & dryer for our campsite
Yes, it makes for a long evening, being out there setting up at 2pm and staying until the next morning at 9am, but it's worth it.

Want to know how you can get involved in such a great (and fun) cause? Visit www.relayorlife.org to find an event near you, or to donate to a great cause!

2 comments:

  1. YEah! Thankfully ours didn't get rained out Friday night but it was a muddy mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE that theme! You are too cute! :)

    ReplyDelete