If you grew up in or around Greenville, North Carolina, you have hopefully been to an East Carolina University football game.
Being a Pirate fan is more like a religion than a hobby. We bleed purple & gold and nothing comes between us and a game. We sit through rain, sleet, freezing wind and scorching heat to watch our Pirates plow the opposing team into the ground or win a C-USA Championship (which we did last year as seen below).
Liberty Bowl bound [shut up, I know we lost]

We have all memorized the chants, know exactly what part of "Purple Haze" signals the Pirates to explode from the pirate ship/locker room and have trained others in the art of cheering for a football team. In fact, Josh and I even used "Purple Haze" as our announcement song at our wedding reception.
Purple Haze.

Not only are we die-hard about the game, we are also hard core about tailgating. We have turned the pastime into an art form. It's always been a saying that "Win or Lose, We Still Booze" or "We pre-game harder than you party" and etc. Tailgates come complete with Pirate flags flying high over truck beds, giant grills, coolers galore and more than enough purple & gold to go around. You can expect to see a few people stumbling their way into the stadium and more than your fair share of beer pong, flip cup or corn-hole games being played.
flipcup at its finest

a little tailgate in Charlotte for the VT game in 2007

I try to explain to other people what it is like to be a Pirate football fan, and I can never do it justice. Being an ECU grad and growing up with a proud ECU alumnus for a dad has led me to love being a part of such a tradition. I think that is why I failed to enjoy UNC-W (besides me failing so many classes for spending more time at the beach than the library). The school by the sea had no football team, so I had no real connection with being a Seahawk. I was so happy to join my fellow Pirates at ECU in 2006, so I could attend the games as student, not a visitor.
My handsome/dorky husband tailgating

So, I can hardly wait to fly our "No Quarter, No Mercy" flags and sing "Hoist the Colors" at the top my lungs come September 5th, and I can't wait to do so along great friends and the thousands of Pirate fans that are going to fill Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium to see how our new coach is going to coach this year's Pirates, ARRRGGGHHHHH!!!! :)


Being a Pirate fan is more like a religion than a hobby. We bleed purple & gold and nothing comes between us and a game. We sit through rain, sleet, freezing wind and scorching heat to watch our Pirates plow the opposing team into the ground or win a C-USA Championship (which we did last year as seen below).
Liberty Bowl bound [shut up, I know we lost]

We have all memorized the chants, know exactly what part of "Purple Haze" signals the Pirates to explode from the pirate ship/locker room and have trained others in the art of cheering for a football team. In fact, Josh and I even used "Purple Haze" as our announcement song at our wedding reception.
Purple Haze.

Not only are we die-hard about the game, we are also hard core about tailgating. We have turned the pastime into an art form. It's always been a saying that "Win or Lose, We Still Booze" or "We pre-game harder than you party" and etc. Tailgates come complete with Pirate flags flying high over truck beds, giant grills, coolers galore and more than enough purple & gold to go around. You can expect to see a few people stumbling their way into the stadium and more than your fair share of beer pong, flip cup or corn-hole games being played.
flipcup at its finest

a little tailgate in Charlotte for the VT game in 2007

I try to explain to other people what it is like to be a Pirate football fan, and I can never do it justice. Being an ECU grad and growing up with a proud ECU alumnus for a dad has led me to love being a part of such a tradition. I think that is why I failed to enjoy UNC-W (besides me failing so many classes for spending more time at the beach than the library). The school by the sea had no football team, so I had no real connection with being a Seahawk. I was so happy to join my fellow Pirates at ECU in 2006, so I could attend the games as student, not a visitor.
My handsome/dorky husband tailgating

So, I can hardly wait to fly our "No Quarter, No Mercy" flags and sing "Hoist the Colors" at the top my lungs come September 5th, and I can't wait to do so along great friends and the thousands of Pirate fans that are going to fill Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium to see how our new coach is going to coach this year's Pirates, ARRRGGGHHHHH!!!! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment