Friday, May 27, 2011

hi-ya strangers

well hi there.
it's been a LOOONNNGGG week with me having to proctor EOG's Tues-Thurs so I am so, so glad to not only see Friday get there, but to also have time to post again!
And since I haven't been able to do so all week, I am going to skip out on my usual fashion post in favor of talking about something very, very important...
What the eff in the WORLD is wrong with our middle school-ers now-a days!?
I realize that makes me sound like an old fart, but seriously they are crazy.
Apparently lots and lots of things have changed since I was in middle school (you know back when we had to walk 8 miles in the snow, up-hill both ways?). 
Here are a few major changes I noticed.

1) Apparently teachers/administrators no longer care about cell phone usage. 
I remember getting my phone taken away if it buzzed in class, or even lunch or if it was even seen by a teacher or school employee. Now, the teachers know the kids have them so during EOG's we had to go around and collect the phones and then lock them in the cabinet. Then, when they got them back they were openly texting, f-booking and tweeting. It's crazy. I guess the administration has just decided to pick its battles.
On a sidenote - some of these kids had nicer phones than me. No fair.

2) When did kids become political?
Apparently kids think they now know something about politics. And of course... all of them were for Obama. Now, political opinion aside - the below picture is ridiculous, no matter which president's face would be on there.
Yes. that is really Obama's face on a belt.

3) They have a lot more balls gumption than I did when I was their age
These eighth graders gave me pick-up lines I had never head before - and did it with confidence. 

4) Apparently 8th grade sports are as big as MLB, NFL and NBA...
When I played sports in middle school we got a uniform (that we had to return) and maybe a t-shirt that we paid for with our own money... now these kids have full on sweat suits with their names on the back and tons of t-shirts with their team's name and sport they play on it. They looked like miniature paid athletes. 
5) Gum is okay.
Do you remember when you were in school and gum was a crime subject to capital punishment? I mean a teacher caught you chewing gum and you were in trooouuble. But now? Perfectly okay.

6) Apparently the cafeteria food is filled with fertilizer...
Kids are ginormous! I don't mean fat (however a few of them are that too), they're crazy tall. I am 5'9 and I had to look up at some of these giant teenagers.

No comments:

Post a Comment