Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Coulda, shoulda, woulda... (warning: long post)

I am being a copy-cat and stealing a post topic from Tara over at fabulous but evil.

While I loved certain parts of my wedding, there are other parts that I would definitely change, you know nothing dramatic, just the color scheme, decorations, my dress, the b*maid dresses, the flowers and the atmosphere of my reception... okay maybe that is a lot of things. I would keep the groom and location at least, and most of the wedding party.

Color Scheme
I chose a baby blue and white for my wedding colors because my church has red floors and yellow pews and I could think of no other colors that wouldn't completely clash. I wish I had chosen greens and tans/browns instead so I could have used cotton and burlap and other organic looking, southern things in my decor - because not that may pictures were taken at the church anyway.








Decorations
If I had used the broader color scheme pictured above, it would have been easy to use decor like that pictured below (from Green Wedding Shoes, photographed by Jasmine at Jasmine-Star.com) . I love how the wedding looked with the cotton bowls inside jars tied with twine and using branches and burlap on tables.









Flowers
With that decor, I could have used cotton bowls for boutonni√®res and then had cotton worked into my white and green bouquet as well.  The beautiful hydrangeas I chose for my wedding died in the heat and were withered before the reception even started. I love how the arrangement below (also taken from Green Wedding Shoes) looks so effortless but eloquent.





Dresses
I loved my dress at the time, but I look back on it and wish that I had a dress that was simple but elegant. I adore the below dresses from J.Crew and I have no idea how I would have chosen between them if given the choice.
Chiffon Augusta Gown - $995
Principessa Gown - $1,950
I would have chosen another dress for my bridesmaids too, probably the one below from J.Crew.
Silk Chiffon Evie Dress - $195

Other changes I would make include the time of day of the wedding & reception (it was about a million degrees) and the atmosphere of the reception (if later in the day, could have had soft lighting and a nice ambiance).


But all in all, I still married a wonderful man, was married by the same preacher that married my parents (and is a wonderful family friend) and had a great day (probably due to the amount of Vicodin in my system because of my knee pain).



3 comments:

  1. ok, i've never seen cotton used in wedding decor like that, but it looks so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: J Crew dresses only look good on stick thin models. I ordered several for my wedding hoping one would work... NOPE! So you probably did the right thing by getting your dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what wonderful ideas. I have never even dreamed about my wedding. But now I think I know what I would want.

    ReplyDelete