Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Euro Adventure - Day 1


Buongiorno everyone! I am finally getting around to blogging about my recent european adventure.

In case you are just now joining this party, here is a little background..

My mother-in-law Mrs. Vivian is an AVID Coordinator at my old high school and was taking 11 students on an EF (Education First) Tour and since she had enough participants she got one free spot for a chaperon, therefore I got the chance of a life-time, a fully-paid trip to Italy & Paris including breakfasts and dinners and TONS of sight-seeing tours. We left April 8 and returned April 15. 

Then the Sunday before my adventure, I managed to severely sprain my ankle resulting in me having to wear this contraption across the country.


We left April 8 from Raleigh at 11:10am and connected in Philadelphia to embark on an 8 hour flight to Rome, Italy. Since we flew overnight, we woke up the next morning in the clothes were wearing and immediately started our trip.

Our tour group included another group from around the Winston-Salem area and a group of people from Canada, since the Canadian group hadn't arrived at the airport yet we were allowed to enjoy some free time in Rome. We began our free-time exploration in the Piazza Navona where the Palazzo Pamphili, Fontana del Morro and Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi are located.

Palazzo Pamphili (The Brazillian Embassy)
The Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi (Fountain of Four Rivers)
one side of the Piazza
Fontana del Morro
The boot in the Piazza (yeah those cobble-stone and brick paved streets were REAL fun to walk on)
We took a little walk over to the Pantheon next where there is (of course) another lovely fountain, we also stopped at a little sidewalk cafe (even though it was fuh-reezing, and my freezing I of course mean in the 60s... hey, we're from the south) where I enjoyed a delicious type of tortellini I can't even pronounce.
the Panethon is a temple that is built honoring all the Roman gods
bottom of the Fontana del Pantheon

some of the art inside the Pantheon
ditto
my tortellini
some of our travelers at lunch
Once we left and picked up the Canadian group, we went to our hotel... which wasn't at all what we were expecting. Our hotel got changed at the last minute and we were switched to one in a not-so-desirable area. It was an older hotel and very European.
the sign.
me & mrs. vivian's room (and her backpack & luggage)

You'll notice I didn't include a picture of the European toilet, that is because when I went to take that picture I was too distracted by THIS....
that is not a vacuum ladies. that was our hair dryer, it had the air flow intensity of a  light breeze. ridiculous.

We went to dinner that night as a group, where I forgot to take any pictures. Tomorrow, I'll tell you about our tour of the Vatican City including the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica.

2 comments:

  1. You had me at tortellini. haha! Everything looks so gorgeous, I can't wait to see more pictures. And seriously, what is up with that blow dryer? Frustrating I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a great day. And I am still a tad bit jealous you got a free trip.

    ReplyDelete