Thursday, August 9, 2012

a letter to the Bug

My sweet little baby bug, isn't such a little baby any more. Sawyer will be 18 months old tomorrow and time flew so fast that it made me realize how quickly he is going to grow up. 

how did we go from brand-new baby, sleeping on daddy to...
....walking all over daddy
I decided to write down a few things I want to tell him before he goes from 18 months to 18 years.

Don't you ever let someone tell you that you aren't capable of doing something. You can do anything you set out to do, no matter how small of a town you're from or how hard the world pushes against you. Just because mama and daddy chose to stay around Edgecombe County and work here, don't think that means you have to do the same.

Try not to lose your temper too often. I know this will be hard since you have both my and your daddy's temperaments (sorry about that) but you have to learn to pick your battles and know when a fight is worth having. Also try to avoid losing it in public, that's not classy.

Spend time with your granparents, you'll blink and all of a sudden they're older than you think they ought to be. 

Love the Lord. Don't fall into the trap I fell in to in high school, you will never be too cool to stand up for what you believe.

Smoking isn't cool. I know you'll probably try cigarettes, and maybe some weed, but trust me, it isn't as cool as it looks and you will not be able to hide it from your daddy and me, we know all the tricks (because we used to pull them too). Cigarette smoke clings to EVERYTHING, and all the eye drops in the world won't clear up all the red in your eyes. 

Be a gentleman. Don't let other guys tell you that being a jerk is what gets the ladies, the good girls are going to appreciate manners and boys that can be nice to their parents more than they'll like guys who don't call back and are rude to adults. 

Don't skip class. It becomes way too easy the more you do it and while school may suck, an education is what is going to get you out of here and into college. Learn from your mama's 1.56 GPA at UNC-Wilmington, skipping one class leads to another, which leads to another and so forth.




1 comment:

  1. Oh I love this so much!! You're such a good momma and I know Sawyer's the best little boy!

    ReplyDelete