I am currently the Communications & Community Relations Coordinator with the school system I grew up in, as did the rest of my family. And while it makes the money, it certainly doesn't make a lot of it.
![]() |
| Where the magic happens! |
But, my journey took me down a long and bumpy path to get here.
I graduated in Dec. 2008 (a semester earlier, hollllla) from East Carolina University [GO PIRATES!] with a bachelor of arts in English with a minor in Communications:Media Studies. I thought I wanted to be a reporter, writing fun features pieces and getting to experience so many things in the world and writing them so others could experience them too..... then I entered the real world.
Writing jobs were few and far between and sadly the Reflector was for sale and letting people go, not hiring people full time, so I moved on and took a job as an Advertising Sales Representative (which I hated),
....then got back into the newsroom at a weekly paper as a Staff Writer (that turned out to be more staff writer/layout designer/photographer/receptionist/bookeeper).
|
|
| whoop whoop, I remember being so excited about this issue because I had TWO stories and TWO photos on the cover. |
When Josh and I had eaten through our savings due to my lovely $9/hr paycheck (yes, you read that right), I started applying everywhere. I was finally offered a job at a daily newspaper and as I was on the phone to accept it, I got an email saying a Communications Assistant position had opened at my school system. I took it as a sign from the Lord that it was something I needed to apply for and to turn down the job at the paper. And I did, on faith alone.
So, I applied, got the position and started here in March 2010 (see, God, knows what he's doing). I slowly moved up when my boss' position was eliminated due to budget issues, and I became the only person in my department and the only person who knows anything about what I do.
I will say that I am a little scared in my current position. I have nowhere to grow here now that they eliminated the position above me and my pay is nowhere near sufficient for the amount of work I do and the amount of hours I am away from my husband and son, but I am so blessed to have a job and I have faith that God knows what he's doing.




I LOVE your office - I wish I had one:( I just have a desk/cube with gray walls! So cute that you work for the school system you grew up in....must be nice to go back to your roots!
ReplyDeleteyour office is adorable!! :) I am so impressed you didn't except the paper job on faith alone and this one opened up!! And I know it's scary since there is no way to move up in your job but God will open those doors too!!
ReplyDelete