Thursday, June 13, 2013

in the beginning

Today is my and Josh's fourth anniversary. It doesn't seem like four years ago that I limped down the aisle to marry him!

But before there was a wedding, there were four years of dating......

Josh and I were talking about our first date the other week and while I can tell you that we went and saw "Meet the Fockers" and that Josh got oil from popcorn all over his jeans, the most memorable part of the first date isn't the date itself, it's more how it actually came to be.



It all started in a hospital. We'd hung out before this, but our first REAL date started not even with me, but with my mother, my phone & hospital visit.

You see, on Dec. 24, 2004 I woke up with a headache that hurt worse than anything I have ever experienced before. I felt like I couldn't move my body, not only because it hurt so much, but because it was like my brain wasn't connected to my limbs. My little sister, who was 11 at the time was sleeping in my bed with me and heard me moaning and gasping from pain. She went screaming down the stairs to my parents who rushed to me. I could barely concentrate enough to even explain what was wrong without getting the overwhelming urge to puke from the pain. So, to the hospital we went.

My dad flew into the emergency department and explained what was going on, I was so out of it and so nauseous from the pain that I don't even remember driving or getting to the hospital. The doctors immediately thought I had meningitis and start doing all kinds of tests including a lovely spinal tap (that I do remember).

that needle right there? yeah it was in my back.
via

Well, word had traveled (small town, remember?) that I was in the hospital and Josh heard from his cousin Denise (also my mom's college roommate and best friend) that I was there.

So, he called my cell phone. Thinking that I'd be the one to answer (not like I was high on morphine and other crazy drugs or anything) to check on me, and ask me to go out on a real live date some time after Christmas.

My mother answered.

Josh stammered through a "hey, uhhh how's Lauren doing" convo and actually asked my mom if I could go get dinner one night with him once I, you know, got out of the hospital and all. Mama said, "I'm sure she'd be happy to, I'll have her call you after we figure out what's going on with her."

Turns out? I had some sort of viral thing, I got sent home with strict order to stay horizontal the rest of the next day (not easy to do on Christmas morning, trust me) to avoid a horrible headache from the spinal tap.

I called Josh the second I was vertical, and obviously, we lived happily ever after (or at least, our version of happily ever after).

Read about our engagement story here or our first (awkward) "i love you" here.

4 comments:

  1. Omg I LOVE that. Obviously it sucks that you were sick but it makes such a great story! Happy Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy anniversary!!! :) You guys have some pretty great stories! I'm glad he didn't chicken out when your mom answered your phone :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy (super belated) anniversary!!!!!

    ReplyDelete