Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Baked Zucchini Sticks

During summer in the south (and most other places too, I'm sure), zucchini and squash are staple vegetables in our house. Not just because we love them, but because we usually get a never-ending supply of them from our grandparents.

So, I am always trying to find new ways to cook them besides the standard stir-fry (and country fry)method that I love.

I found this great recipe for baked zucchini sticks at King Arthur Flour and new I had to try it. While the dip recipe that went along with it looked amazing, I don't have a food processor or the patience to caramelize onions.
via

Ingredients:

  • 3 medium zucchini, unpeeled, cut into 3"-long stick
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 cup coarse, dry bread crumbs (e.g., panko)
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
  • olive oil spray
  • 2 large eggs



Directions:
1. Cut zucchini in half then quarter the halves and preheat the oven to 425°F
2. Place the zucchini sticks in a colander over a bowl and sprinkle with the tablespoon of salt. Let the zucchini drain for 1 hour or longer (they give off a lot of liquid and this helps get rid of it) rinse and pat dry.




3. Combine the Panko, Parmesan, and Italian seasoning in one dish and whip the egg in another.

4. Dunk the sticks a few at a time in the egg, then place on a sheet of wax paper and sprinkle the pankomix on top of them. The original directions said to "roll in the panko crumb mixture", but the crumbs get so clumpy from the egg that they don't stick as well. 

5. Place the sticks on the baking sheet that has been sprayed with olive oil spray (or Pam).



6. Bake sticks for 12 minutes, turn over, and bake for an additional 8 minutes, until golden brown and crisp.




7. Enjoy! (as you can see, I enjoyed mine with a fat steak, onions and roasted potatoes).

Do you have a great zucchini recipe?

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I just learned how to fry veggies this summer. Since it is not healthy at all, I don't know when I would ever recreate it at home. I love that this is a healthier substitute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmmm I am so obsessed with zucchini right now. I'll have to try these.

    ReplyDelete