Tuesday, July 30, 2013

can I get a Relay?

Yours truly is going to co-chair the Relay for Life campaign for the entire county of Edgecombe. I am a little terrified of the daunting task, but also so proud to be a part of such a great organization that is working hard to find a cure for cancer.



Thankfully, I am not doing this alone, my friend Caroline (who just happens to be my “monogram person” and owns a great shop downtown) is the Chair of the event and will take the lead on most things. Caroline is who I spent most of last year's Relay dancing with all over the football field in the wee hours of the morning.
last year's shenanigans described in a shaky, blurry photo

I'm not going to pretend like I didn't have to think long and hard about this decision. I love Relay and I have always enjoyed fund-raising, coordinating with my team captains at the school district and planning out our campsite (read about that here) – however one of the big reasons I left my position at ECPS was to spend more time at home and avoid late night meetings and the stress of pulling together a big event. 

2012 "All I Want for Christmas is a Cure"

2011 Beachin' for a Cure banner

I prayed about it and prayed about it, and then I realized that with all that cancer has taken away from me, how I can't resist the chance to do something more to prevent it from hurting anyone else.

So, come next May I might be running around like a crazy person and after we launch the 2013-2014 campaign in October and we officially take the reigns, I might be a little frazzled, but I know it will be worth it if even a little bit of the money we raise can make a difference and help people celebrate more birthdays!

Want to learn more about Relay for Life? Visit http://www.relayorlife.org/.

5 comments:

  1. congratulations girl! what a great cause! I know your going to do great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!!! I know you will do great with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck! I know what a big deal this is... I chaired Farmville's a few years ago. I've been to Edgecombe's Relay a few times, and it is a great event! I know you will do a great job!

    ReplyDelete