Thursday, December 12, 2013

the ten.

There are so many books that have stayed with me over the years. Some that I have read recently, but most are stories from when I was younger and discovering my love for reading. I saw on Facebook where people were doing one of those lists things about their favorite books and I thought of a TON of books that have shaped my life, but here are ten books that came to mind.

1. "If You Only Knew" from The Friendship Ring Series by Rachel Vail
I read this book in like sixth or seventh grade (which is about the age of the characters) and I was so drawn the character, Zoe. She is tall and lanky and surrounded by petite little friends and she felt like a monster. I was the exact same way at that age. I remember standing all stooped over so I wouldn't stand out so badly among my tiny little friends.

2. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

I wrote in a blog post a long time ago (before I really got into blogging) that I felt like I was born in the wrong generation and was meant to be a 1920's flapper girl instead. After I read this book in high school, I just fell in love with the easy going lifestyle of the Jazz Age. (p.s. I have yet to see the movie out of fear that I'll hate it since I love the book so much).

3. I'll Always Love You by Hans Wilhelm
This is a children's book that my parents used to read to me and that was given to me by my Uncle Kenny who died of AIDS when I was around 4 years old. The sad story is about a little boy and his dog and their transition through life together. Such a sweet story about love and loss. It still makes me cry to even think about it.

4. Love the One You're With by Emily Griffin
This book is about the "what if". That little doubt that makes you wonder "what if I had taken another path instead of the one I'm on". It reminded me that it's okay to not be the exact same person as your spouse, to not have everything in common and that every marriage has its flaws.

5. The Tale of Three Trees by Angela Elwell
This is a Christian folklore book about three trees and where they end up in life. The trees have amazing dreams of what they'll be someday but are disheartened by what they eventually become "lowly objects" in comparison to the great adventures they had planned for. However they all end up serving amazing purposes, one as the manger where Christ is laid as a baby, one as a fishing boat where the Lord commanded the storm to be still and another becomes the cross. It's a great story!

6. Plantation by Dorothea Benton Frank

 I love just about every book written by Dorothea Benton Frank, but this book spoke to me so much because the mother, Miss Lavinia in the story reminds me so much of my sharp-tongued Mema Kay. Both Lavinia and Mema have that talent of insulting and complimenting you at the same time and the story is so beautifully written I just lost myself in this book.

7. Blubber by Judy Blume
This book is like the "Mean Girls" of middle school. I wish I could say this book meant so much to me because I was bullied as a kid, but no it meant so much to me because I was the bully. My friends and I were so mean to a girl in sixth and seventh grade that I am so surprised she didn't have a complete nervous breakdown. I re-read this book in high school as part of a women's literature class and was reminded again how easy it is to want to be part of an in-crowd so you participate in mean-spirited fun.

8. Marley & Me by John Grogan

My mema gave me this book shortly after Josh & I had to put our sweet Mac Daddy to sleep (read about him here) and I cried most of the way through it. Our crazy Mac was so much like Marley, you never knew what you'd find when you walked in the door at our house. He ate squeakers out of toys, never listened to a word we said and was spoiled absolutely rotten but he was our first fur child and putting him down was the hardest thing we've ever had to do.


9. Can't Stay Away from the Sweet Valley High Senior Year by Francine Pascal

This entire series was amazing as we hang out with the Wakefield twins in their senior year of high school, but the first book is really a big changing point for Jessica Wakefield when she makes a bad decision that shapes her entire senior year after rumors are spread about her being a slut. Without going into detail, this is my junior year of high school in a nutshell. Also, 99 cents for a NSYNC poster? Hoolllaaaa.

10. The Little Rabbit Who Wanted Red Wings by Carolyn Sherwin Bailey


I used to make my mama read this to me all the time, it's a children's story about being careful what you wish for and it is still one of my favorites.

What are some books that have stayed with you over the years?

2 comments:

  1. OMG Blubber! You're bringing me back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had forgotten about Blubber. I loved Judy Blume books.

    ReplyDelete