Thursday, June 14, 2012

Euro Adventure - The Final Day

Our last day abroad was one of my favorite days. We began our day with a bus tour of Paris. Sadly most of us were still so exhausted from the train day and the previous days activities that we kept falling asleep on the bus! Seriously, I had a giant goose egg on my head from where I fell asleep so hard I hit the bus window with my forehead.

I did wake up in time to see the famous shopping street Ave des Champs-Elysées and the Arc de Triomphe. 

the Arc
another view, wish we could have gotten out to see it!
a better picture of the Alexander III bridge horses
the Louis store on the Aves des Champs-Elysees
we stopped long enough to see the very scenic view of the Tower

Our tour ended so we got some free time while the other group went to Versailles. We enjoyed it by hanging out near the Notre Dame Cathedral, shopping and EATING.

Our first stop was for lunch, which was not a super pleasant experience. We ate at the Metro Cafe and I just wanted a nice omelet with some coffee. Welllll, we had an extraordinarily rude waiter who got angry when I asked what came inside my omelet and got even angrier when we discovered we needed to divide the check. Now, I realize separating the check per person might be difficult, but come on dude, we're paying customers. 
lunch at the Metro Cafe.
After lunch we shopped around got some snacks. 
Dustin modeling a risque apron with boobies.
yes, in the market there was raw meat just hanging out in the open. bleh.
yummy looking veggies in the market
those are GIANT hunks of meat on rotating spits
We saw a guy making crepes on the street outside an ice cream shop and decided it was WAY past time to enjoy the delicacy. Of course all I could think about was Ricky Bobby and Cal Naughton Jr. talking about how crepes are like sweet pancakes (if you don't understand this reference you should rent "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby" you'll thank me later). They were absolutely delicious though.


everyone enjoying the yumminess
mine was nutella & chocolate, I figured I deserved one after all our walking
Morgan got ice cream shapped like a rose

We also walked around to enjoy a few more sites such as one of the district (called arrondissiments)  administrative buildings (which look NOTHING like your typical southern Town Hall trust me)
see? nothing like the little building we have at home that is connected to the police station serving as our "administrative building" 


yep, that's a Rolls Royce.
After a little more touring we went back to Notre Dame to wait for the rest of our tour group. We didn't get to go inside because the line was crazy long so we just hung out and watched people.

yeah, that's a line there to the left.
 I tried to zoom in close enough to see the gargoyles because I LOVED the Disney movie "Hunchback of Notre Dame" and wanted to see how much they looked like the cartoon version... they didn't.
as close as I could get to the gargoyles
this is how I wanted them to look.
I really wanted to pose in front of the cathedral like a hunchback and be Quasimodo, but nobody would do it with me. So here is a generic pose with me & Vivian.


When our group returned they turned us loose once again, so the adults went to get a glass of wine. Sadly, a lot of the places around were either crazy expensive or crazy busy, so we found a Chinese restaurant where we could sit and relax. I figured, hey who can else can say they enjoyed a glass of wine at a Parisian Chinese place?
our Chinese place
they had some awesome little salty rice cake things with the wine
Our final day of the European Adventure ended with dinner at a really good restaurant whose name I cannot remember. 

We had quite the eventful metro ride back to the hotel though. We had 28 stops to go from our restaurant to the hotel and boy did we meet some characters. First a pair of young ladies obviously on their way to the club climbed aboard and managed to sit in each others laps, make-out, make all kinds of interesting noises and say some rather provocative things in English. After they got off the metro a strong smell of weed took OVER the car we were on. At first I thought the girls had just left a smell in their wake, but it kept getting stronger and stronger, finally we realized a group of guys had climbed on and were smoking a blunt, passing it between them. 

I just realized that I forgot to tell you about a lady from one of the other groups in our tour almost got pick-pocketed on the first day in Paris! She was standing by the door on the metro and a man was chatting with her about our trip when she noticed a lady was getting closer and closer to her. All of a sudden she looked down and the lady had managed to unzip her purse and was starting to reach for her wallet. It was crazy, luckily she hollered out and the man and the lady ran off before snatching anything.

Despite a few little hiccups, this trip was truly the experience of a lifetime and I know I will never again get the opportunity to go for free. The kids were great and despite my nasty ankle, it was a wonderful time. 

However.... on our way home, a man slammed into my bad ankle with his suitcase, therefore I took two Percocet. By the time we got on the plane I wasn't really sleepy so I decided to take a muscle relaxer to get me through the 9 hour flight. Well, both doses hit me at the same time and I fell asleep so hard I face-slammed into the little tv-screen on the back of the seat in front of me. Lindsey, who sat next to me, got a great laugh out of it, as did the stranger on my other side. 

And so sends my posts on my trip, promise to catch you up with how my normal life is going lately, soon!



3 comments:

  1. I just found your blog, so I'm kind of reading backwards but I LOVE Paris! I actually just blogged about Paris today. I'm glad you had a great day there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still so jealous of your trip, everything looks so amazing!! And seriously, crepes in Paris? PERFECT! That's so scary about the lady almost getting pick pocketed! Glad she noticed it in time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That ice cream cone is amazing.

    ReplyDelete