Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Euro Adventure Day 5 - Paris

(refresh yourself on my trip here: 1, 2, 3, 4 and 4.5)

We hit the ground running once again once we arrived in Paris. Through our bus windows we saw the Operá District with its stone buildings, gold accents and antique look then dropped off our luggage at the hotel.


our hotel, a Novotel, from the outside
We had just enough time to take a quick bathroom break and deposit our luggage into a storage room before walking about a mile to the metro station for our first metro experience, which was relatively painless before emerging in front of the Louvre.

Dustin, the metro model (because what's more Parisian than a camo Browning jacket?)

my ankle, sans Boot, in the Metro

We only had 45 minutes there, so obviously we didn’t attempt to explore the museum, which is WAY more ginormous than I even realized. We quickly navigated through the place long enough to see the Mona Lisa, which was so small. I was incredibly surprised by how little it is and how despite it being such a BIG deal, it is really just a painting (albeit a good one) of a random woman nobody knows.
the view of the Arc from the Louvre
i told you it's HUGE, this one is one "wall"
... and the other
...and the other
the pyramid, which comes to another point inside in the museum
see? (via)

Vivian & me
the "kids"
We took a minute to eat some lunch in the museum’s cafeteria then took the metro once again to get closer to the Eiffel Tower.

our first glimpse of the tower at the Louvre
in front of the Eiffell lawn
there was a couple taking wedding pictures on the lawn
We didn’t stay long at the tower since we knew that we would return later, so we decided to walk around and shop in the Opera district. We sadly didn’t hit the famous street with all the nice shops or go to an area with fun boutiques, we went to a touristy area with gift shops, I was disappointed, but I guess when you have that many students with you, you don’t really have a choice.

We took a quick look at the tower before going to get dinner at Le Paris Orleans – which was no where near as yummy as we were hoping it would be.


some kind of beef/rice combo dinner that tasted like just plain old stewed beef from home
a brothy soup that needed LOTS of salt & pepper

After supper we went BACK to the Eiffell Tower and most of us enjoyed a night boat ride through the city. In my opinion this is the way to go when it comes to site-seeing. They had little phones you could listen to if you wanted to hear the guided portion of the trip, or you just enjoy the city of lights at night.
those, my friends, are apartments. can you imagine the rent?
mean faces on the bridge that are supposed to keep away evil spirits
the Alexander III bridge, which was built for the Worlds Fair 
more of the bridge
the steeple at Notre Dame
a dinner cruise boat (which I want to do next time I get the chance to visit)
I think this is an embassy building? (I was too enthralled in the sites to listen too well to the guide)
Mrs. Vivian listening to the guide
We got off the boats just in time to see the Eiffel Tower lit up in the light show that is every night at 10 p.m. I may or may not have cried. It is just so beautiful and I felt so unbelievably blessed to be able to have such an opportunity, especially for free.

because why wouldn't there be a tractor in Paris near the Eiffel tower? I felt like I was back home.
b-e-a-utiful
I really couldn't get over how much prettier it was at night


really sorry the video is sideways, it wouldn't let me fix it. Also, please note how many times someone says "Friday the 13th" (the day I recorded it) and also how country we all sound, haha - especially Molly who says "it's Friday the 13th ya'll". 

We reluctantly went back to our hotels and straight up COLLAPSED. All of us were so exhausted that everyone went straight to shower, get ready for bed and sleep.

so happy top see a more modern room! 
and a nice bathroom, where I took the second best shower of my life (the absolute best shower will always be the one after having Sawyer)
I was ecstatic to see a REAL hair dryer after the crazy one we had in Rome
Stay tuned for Day 2 of Paris - also known as the final day of my Euro Adventure - I will hopefully post it soon!

1 comment:

  1. What a magical way to end a day in Paris! I love those boat tours.

    ReplyDelete