Monday, February 18, 2013

coming home.

I have been sitting on this post for awhile. Just letting it stay in the "draft" stage in my list of posts because I wasn't sure what my reason was for writing it. So when I saw that Becky @ From Mrs. to Mama was doing a link-up just to write, I decided it would be a perfect time for it.

I live in the county where I was born and raised. I went to college then came back home to work and start my family. And I am so extraordinarily blessed that this was a possibility for me.

my favorite picture from our wedding, in front of my hometown water tower
These pine trees that surround me once felt like prison bars when I was younger and I couldn't wait to escape them. But now? Now, they feel like arms holding me tight with my family and friends.

The back country roads that I once wanted to trade for bright lights and interstates are now my "get away" place. If gas were cheaper, I'd ride them until I couldn't, with my windows down and cherish that some times mine is the only car traveling down them.

Some might say "grow a pair and get out of there" or "don't you want to chase dreams in other places"?

And the answer to that last question is "yes". Of course I'd love to chase an amazing job in a big city where I'd get paid more for what I do and meet exciting people. I'd die to be able to eat in restaurants that aren't chains and eat foods I've never heard of.

But in the same breath... I don't think I'd want to go.

Don't get me wrong, I admire those who are brave enough to venture out there and I also understand that some times you just can't remain in your home town, that the jobs you want/need are in other places.

But I am excited that I get to raise my son, and maybe another son or daughter one day, in the shadows of those pine trees that I was raised under and I am so blessed that I met an amazing man who shares the same desire. And I am even more blessed that we both have jobs that have opportunities here in our home town.

Those big cities can't offer me the love and loyalty I have for my little, middle of nowhere town.

6 comments:

  1. my husband and I recently moved back to my hometown and I could not be more thrilled. It is small, everyone knows everyone but I love the sense of community and self it gave me growing up! <3 I love the city, but I love coming home more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a similar experience but on a little bit of a smaller scale. I spent 2.5 years living away at college but I've recently moved back home to save money after I transferred schools and it's amazing how much I appreciate the town now. It's a close suburb of Atlanta so I still get the "city fix" when I want but I love how it feels like a small town despite the location. Great post, Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sweet! And you did get out and experience life elsewhere during college, so you've seen other cities. But your heart belongs at home and that is perfectly OK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is truly, no place like home! :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love love this post! :)

    I am the opposite in a way because I'm in love with my city, having been born and raised here and starting my family here BUT it's gotten so big over the past few years that it doesn't feel the same and it doesn't feel much like home anymore :( So now that Ronnie may have a chance to take an internship out of state, I'm open to it! I'm ready now for an adventure and to see something new! I really do wish though that I still had the same feelings like you have towards your town. If we did, we'd definitely try to stay and raise V here too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. while my hometown isn't necessarily as small as it was when I grew up, I'm so ready for the day Rob can finish up residency & fellowship, and we can move home, assuming the job market allows! And if it doesn't, I guess I'll just have to find a new home in the town/city that does. but I'm just happy knowing that my husband has realized it is nearly impossible to convince me there is a better place to live than at the beach :)

    ReplyDelete