Monday, October 17, 2011

riding in cars with babies.

the five hour drive from our little end of NC to Beech Mountain, NC was an eye-opening experience.

this little guy - who was teething like crazy - did NOT want to be in his car seat for 5 minutes let alone all 5 verrrryy long hours.

I had come prepared for any sort of catastrophe in the car. I had wipes, I had several changes of clothes (for both me & sawyer), diapers galore and almost every toy the kid owns... but nothing could calm him down at certain times.

let's rehash Sawyer's schedule for the day shall we?

9 a.m. - arrive at grandparent's house to help them finish packing their car
9:30 a.m. - decide i'm hungry
10 a.m - get in car.
10:01 a.m. - puke in car seat INTO EVERY SINGLE CREVICE.
i am not even kidding, there was puke in every part of the seat, down my shirt, on my pants, under   
my chin, on my hands. it was ridiculous
10:15 a.m. - after a wardrobe change, dose of Tylenol and thorough cleaning of seat, leave for mountains
10:30 - 11:00 a.m. - chew on my sunglasses, pinch tongue in hinge of sunglasses, cry then get even madder when sunglasses are taken away from me

11:00 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.  - take nap
12:00 p.m. - get diaper changed at a rest stop outside of Durham and scream the entire time
12:30 p.m. - decide I'm hungry again, so all stop at McDonald's where I eat only a little bit of food and spit the rest of it second outfit of day then make Daddy drop tub on bananas on floor
1:00 p.m. - back on road, scream at Mommy while she tries to make me watch The Wonder Pets on DVD.
1:30 p.m. - chew on shoe, makes me happy.

2:00 p.m - 2:25 p.m.- take a very brief nap followed by a poopie diaper
2:30 p.m. - pee on mommy in a parking lot where she had to change my diaper in the seat of the car
3:00 p.m. - scream at mommy for no reason other than I am tired
3:30 p.m. - get hungry and stupid mommy tries to feed me a bottle while we're driving down the winding mountain road, resulting in me puking on 3rd outfit of the day
4:30 p.m. - finally arrive in mountains, happy as a lark because mommy found out that I love my Very Hungry Caterpillar

It will be AWHILE before we do any more traveling. Quite awhile.

2 comments:

  1. We had a very similar experience when we went to Ocracoke this summer with Peyton. It was 5 hours of watching Winnie the Pooh, eating, screaming because she was tired, screaming because she wanted to get out, stopping at rest stops, screaming during diaper changes, screaming because she had to get BACK IN the carseat, and napping here and there. I pray next year is easier!

    ReplyDelete