On the second day of our adventure
(read about the first day here), we started our day at Vatican City. Let me just first say that I didn't realize how un-informed I was about this area, did ya'll know that it is considered a "country"!? Like a legit country with their own train and post office? Yeah, me either.
Also, before I begin with the endless amounts of pictures let me say that if you are ever going to visit the Vatican make you actually book a tour, otherwise just trying to
walk all up in there will result in standing in line for 6 hours while being pestered by people selling fake sunglasses and purses on the street. I felt really sorry for the people we passed as we just walked right up to the doors with our tour guide.
 |
| my ticket |
 |
| our group riding the escalator up to the museum |
 |
| a model of Vatican City |
 |
| Our enthusiastic tour guide |
 |
| Haha our girls pretending to take a bath in the giant marble tub (by this time we'd seen more than our fair share of art and statues and were making our own fun) |
 |
| the beautiful ceiling in the hall of tapestries |
 |
| these people do NOT play about their ceilings |
 |
| it's amazing. |
 |
| I had no idea how high up we were until I looked out the window and saw this, my ankle however quickly realized how far we had gone once we had to go BACK down all the stairs |
 |
| those stairs. they were crazy. like ramps but.. not. the boot did NOT like. |
 |
| then of course there's the ceilings that makes all other ceilings look stupid, that of the Sistene Chapel. btw, I definitely had to sneak this picture because you aren't actually supposed to take photos in the chapel, I think Jesus understands though |
 |
| had to be even sneakier with this picture of the Judgement Day painting on the Sistene wall |
As soon as we left the chapel we went to St. Peter's Square with hopes of visiting St. Peter's Basilica but once we got to the square and saw that the line to get into the basilica wrapped around the Square, we quickly changed our mind.
 |
| the Basilica |
we walked around awhile then decided to grab some lunch. this was where it got interesting. Restaurants send their employees out on the street to try and grab people to come eat there. Well we saw a place we wanted to eat and one of the waiters was quick to get us in the door and to a table, but then we just kept sitting there hearing the other waiters talk about us in Italian and ignore us before we finally just got up and left. We found another restaurant that really wanted our business and had some
amazing lasagna.
After lunch we had to board the bus and head to the Roman Forum and Colosseum. It was amazing. All I could think about was the movie "Jumper" when they visited the Colosseum. The boot did NOT like the stairs at the Colosseum, but the climb was worth it. Check it out...
 |
| Outside |
 |
| the BOOT does the Colosseum |
 |
| all the kids and Mrs. Vivian in the Colosseum |
 |
| Ashton & Molly being silly Americans |
 |
| the Arch Septimius Severus, and why yes I did automatically wonder if that is where J.K. Rowling got Snape's name from |
 |
| one of my favorite pictures from the Forum |
 |
| everyone at the restaurant for supper |
 |
| Mrs. Viv & me at supper, might I mention that neither of our flat irons would work in Rome, even with the adapter and converter, hers fried on the first day and mine just wouldn't even turn on - her hair is usually much fluffier and mine was a HOT mess in Rome. |
I am going to
try to post tomorrow about day 3, our free day in Rome where we visited the Trevi fountain and Spanish steps and got miserably lost trying to find our restaurant for dinner.
Girl you are amazing, I don't know how you did all that walking with that boot! I would've given up and just stayed at the hotel. ha! Love the pictures!!
ReplyDeleteWhat fun! Way to go sneaking in the pictures.
ReplyDelete