While I am usually quick to tan (despite the auburn hair), this weekend at Emerald Isle, I got FRIED.
I woke up around 11 Saturday morning, applied sunscreen, pulled my hair back and put on my favorite Ralph Lauren one piece (not quite bikini-ready yet) before joining my mother-in-law and Aunt Denise (who is really Josh's cousin and was my mom's college roommate, which is why I call her Aunt, and Josh calls her just "Denise") on the beach.
We laid out for around 3 hours or so then headed inside to get ready and eat at Amos Mosquitoes.
As I was enjoying my crab legs, I started to notice how hot I was, then I noticed how my dress was hurting me ALL OVER. I was worried I was having an allergic reaction (yes, I am allergic to crab, but I had taken a Benadryl and I like it too much not to eat it). I got up, went to the bathroom and saw that my skin was the incredibly red. I thought, no worries it's just a little burn and went back to eat.
After we ate, I felt absolutely miserable my skin hurt, my joints were a little swollen, my lips were burnt and swollen and I had a headache. I went back to the beach house while the rest of the family went to play putt-putt and put on some aloe. As I was putting the aloe back in my ditty bag, I saw the bottom of my sunscreen spray said "12/2009"... my sunscreen had expired.
It made for a horrible night's sleep and an even unhappier ride home the next day.