Wednesday, April 10, 2013

if today was your last day...

I was watching a random Grey's Anatomy episode - you the know the one with the bomb in the guy's chest - and at the end, during Meredith's voice-over she said, "if you knew this was your last day on earth, how would you want to spend it?"

And it got me thinkin'... if I knew for a fact that tomorrow wasn't coming, what would I do on my last day? Or better yet, what would I do on the perfect last day, if I could everything go my way for the day?

I'd eat breakfast with my husband and Sawyer. A BIG spread of waffles, eggs, bacon, sausage, french toast, you name it. We'd play outside and blow bubbles, color the whole drive way with sidewalk chalk and play games until we're too tired to move. We'd come back inside and build a tent and we'd all take a nap under it together.

in his tent at my parents' house.
We'd go to Mema Dean's for lunch with my whole family, the girls would help Mema get the fried chicken, mashed potatoes, biscuits, green beans and other stuff to the table and we'd all sit and eat together. Mema would tell us stories from when Papa was alive and my mama and Aunt Pam were little girls. We'd talk about all the crazy memories we've had at Mema's, from me and my cousin Carla getting chased by the German Shepherds that lived two houses down, to the time we walked too far by ourselves and picked buttercups.

mema dean and her girls
all of Mema Dean's grandbabies (and great-grandbaby)
After we helped Mema clean up the kitchen, me, Josh and Sawyer would go see Papa Dude. We'd swing in the hammock together and run up the big hill before rolling back down it. Papa would hold Sawyer on his shoulders and show him all the crops in the fields and let him climb up on the tractor in the old barn. Josh and I would stand in front of that water tower again and remember the day we got married and took my favorite picture in Papa's front yard with the water tower behind us.
Papa Dude & Sawyer
our wedding day
Christmas 2012
We'd end the day in Temperance Hall, surrounded by Josh's amazing family. We'd swim in the pool and take turns standing around table in the pool house eating seafood boil. All the little kids would splash and play with the big kids and beg Josh to throw them in the pool or for Jordan to jump off the diving board and splash all the aunts and uncles. When the sun goes down, Josh's cousin Kasey would sing and play the guitar sitting under the gazebo and we'd sing along. Sawyer would fall asleep in my arms while we swing on the big swing.
the gazebo at Josh's grandparents'
Josh's little brother Jordan & Grandma Ethel at the pool
me and Josh's cousins Kasey & Lyndsey at my first trip to the beach with his family in 2005
Josh & his parents at our wedding

We'd load up Josh's jeep and drive home with the top off. We wouldn't even listen to the radio, just ride. We'd let Sawyer sleep with us and snuggle, not caring that his blankey is over our faces or that he is like a human furnace. We'd kiss goodnight and I'd go to sleep knowing that even though the day was my last, heaven will be even better if this is how wonderful it can be on earth. 

4 comments:

  1. Aww this was sweet! It sounds like it would be an awesome day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an amazing day...that episode always makes me bawl like a freaking baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your day! Especially starting the day as a family with breakfast, I feel like it is so hard to do and yet I miss it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a wonderful way to spend the day

    ReplyDelete