Monday, April 8, 2013

Gluten Free Coconut Shrimp and Cilantro-Lime Dipping Sauce

I die for anything coconut, so when I found a great recipe from Skinny Taste for Skinny Coconut Shrimp, I knew I had to make it. I just edited it to be gluten-free AND fried (I am from Eastern NC y'all) and then used this recipe from Epicurious for a Cilantro-Lime Dip.

Also, I use my "Cool Daddy" deep fryer for EVERYTHING I fry, it is so easy, clean and much safer when you're as accident prone as I am (nobody likes crazy hot grease popping into their eye, ouch).


Coconut Shrimp Ingredients:
  1 lb. peeled, raw shrimp (the bigger, the better)
  1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
  1/2 cup crushed Gluten-Free crackers (I use Crunch Master "Sea Salt")
  2 tbsp Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free flour (or just whatever rice flour you like)
  1 large egg
  pinch salt
  oil (for frying)


1. Set up your dredging station. I love shallow bowls for dipping and dredging and honestly the best kind are Cool Whip  containers, no joke.

2. Dip you shrimp into the flour then shake off excess, then dip into the egg, followed by the coconut and crushed cracker mix.

3. Once you have battered all your shrimp, pop them bad boys in the fryer and cook about 12 to 13 minutes (until outsides are brown and shrimp are pink). 
yes I know how gross the fryer looks, it shows how much I use it though!
4. Take them out and allow to cool on paper towel-covered plate (absorbs extra grease). Then serve with Lime-Cilantro dipping sauce (see recipe below). 


Lime-Cilantro Dip Ingredients:
  1/2 cup mayonnaise
  1/4 cup sour cream
  2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
  2 teaspoons grated lime
  1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

Mix ingredients and serve with shrimp!




3 comments:

  1. This look delicious! Def bookmarking for later! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! found you on a linkup! I’m a new follower! I also live in NC :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look delicious! I want a fryer so bad but cant justify it!!

    ReplyDelete