Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Raw Results

Last week from Monday to Friday, I participated with Stephanie @ Beautiful Mess and a few other ladies in Raw Week 2013. I ate only raw fruits, veggies & nuts/seeds from the list below for all five days and it was... interesting.

I would be absolutely lying if I said it was easy for me. I am not that healthy of an eater to begin with. I have no qualms with pulling into my beloved BoJangles (or McDonald's when the line is too long) for a biscuit and Pepsi some mornings and I drink more than two cups of coffee a day. So this was way more than just a slight change to my diet.
I just can't help myself some times.
That being said, I think it went pretty well. I only had to cheat one day (thanks to a luncheon meeting where I had to eat cooked veggies vs. raw ones) and I had a lot of energy from eating such clean, healthy stuff. Except in the mornings when I missed my caffeinated coffee boost.

The things I missed the most were random - someone popped some popcorn in the office and it took every fiber of my being not to rip the bag from their hands. I also really missed the texture of meat, like having to rip into something with my teeth (yes, I am aware of how strange and neurotic that sounds). I also drank a TON of water during the week to take the edge off when I got a little hungry between my afternoon snack & dinner.
best way to drink water? drink it out of something fun.
Here are the meals I ate:

Breakfast:
Pineapple & Strawberries
Carrots dipped in homemade hummus
Banana ice cream


Lunch:
Carrots/Broccoli dipped in homemade guacamole
Broccoli/Cauliflower dipped in homemade hummus
Plum
Banana dipped in almond butter
Apple dipped in almond butter
Corn Salad (this recipe minus the black beans)
Almonds

Dinner:
Salads with strawberries, oranges, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, almonds, pineapple and lime juice
Corn Salad mixed with guacamole on bed of lettuce
Veggies dipped in hummus



The results? I felt much more energetic, I definitely made more trips to the bathroom (if you get my drift) and I lost around 7 lbs. I was so pleased with how I felt all week (and yes, the weight loss) that I have decided to try to eat at least two raw meals a day.

4 comments:

  1. That's awesome! It deff. makes me want to try it but I like my unhealthy food soooo much! :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would rather die than do this. But kudos to you for even trying it out. You are waaay braver than me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you for making it through the week.

    ReplyDelete