Friday, February 3, 2012

Freezer Cooking = Success

I talked about my plan to start freezer cooking last week and this past Sunday, I made it happen.

I visited ye ole Wally World (also known as the pit of hell) Sunday afternoon after lunch at Mema's and spent a grand total of $227 on groceries (along with paper products and a few other things) for the entire month then returned to my house to get to cookin'.

First on the list was actually not a freezer meal, but more of a "make ahead to cook later this week" meal since I knew I wanted to go ahead and have it on Monday night.

"Baked Shrimp Scampi" from "What's Cookin', Chicago?"
ingredients, yes that is two whole sticks of butter (one melted)
Single I was planning on eating this Monday night, I just put it in foilware and covered with (some very festive) cling wrap
* this was 'effin delicious!

Then I ventured into the real freezer meals...

Apple Pie Porkchops from "Once a Month Mom"

sorry, I forgot to take a picture of the ingredients for this one

all mixed up
can we pretend like I didn't put the wrong date on every single one of my freezer bags? it was definitely 01/29 not 01/30

Sweet & Sour Pork from.... 
crap I really don't remember where I got this from, promise to find it for ya'll though!

the extra "pour over" sauce, which I froze separately.

ready to freeze
Orange Beef Stew from Mama and Baby Love




I defrosted this and put it in the crockpot Tuesday morning so it could cook while I was at work. Josh loved it, but I wasn't a real big fan. It didn't taste very "orangey" to me, next time I may put some actual oranges in there with it.

Curry Chicken from Mama and Baby Love





Some helpful advice:
While I realize this is my first time even trying this so I am probably not the best source for advice, I do have a few suggestions.

  • Make sure you write down exactly how many you need of each thing. For example, the apple pie porkchop recipe called for 8 apples, well I just wrote "apples" and ended up about 4 apples short and had to go BACK to the store. 
  • Check your cabinets before you make your official grocery list so you don't end up with multiple jars or items (I now have like 5 containers of cinnamon).
  • Set aside a WHOLE day for this. I thought I could grocery shop and cook all this stuff in 3 hours, but shopping along took me an hour and a half then cooking took longer than expected followed by this problem:
since I don't have a dishware I had to stand over that sink for 45 minutes (at 10pm) to turn this picture into....
....this picture.

So that is my first experience in the world of freezing/cooking ahead, I plan on doing more this coming up Saturday too.

Also, don't forget to enter my giveaway, it ends tomorrow!
OR


5 comments:

  1. The orange beef stew is my fave followed by the curry chicken. I made the bbq chicken from Mama and baby love... I loved it and Eric HATED it! I also did cranbery chicken from once a month mom and it was bangin... It has cranberry sauce and catalina dressing and french onion soup mix! YUM YUM! PS: congrats on the european trip :) PSS: Can't wait for Sawyer's birthday party, I got the invite yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this idea and wish I had it in me to do it all. That's awesome that you got this plan started though! I can't wait to hear more about the other meals you've frozen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Freezer cooking has always freaked me out a bit, but these meals look great! I'll have to think about doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've GOT to start doing this, good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The meals all look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete