Thursday, February 27, 2014

new favorite recipe

I've been trying to do better about eating lunch in my office versus getting out in Greenville traffic at lunch time and spending money. In order to this, I have to cook things I actually want to eat at lunch. I've toyed with some salads (like actual lettuce & topping salads - see those recipes here) and just bringing leftovers from dinner, but two weeks ago I found a recipe for an Avocado Chicken Salad at Kayln's Kitchen and I am hooked.


It is so exceptionally easy. I make a batch on Sunday night and then eat it for lunch until Wednesday/Thursday!

Ingredients:
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded into large pieces
2 medium avocados, diced (I use 3)
1 T lime juice
salt, to taste
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
2 T mayo or light mayo (I just used 1 T since I added more avocado)

Instructions:

  1. Shred the chicken apart until you have 2 cups of chicken shredded into fairly large chunks.   
  2. Dice the avocados into medium-sized pieces, mix with 1 T of the lime juice, and season avocado with salt to taste.  
  3. Thinly slice the green onion and finely chop the cilantro.  
  4. Mix mayo and 1 T lime juice to make the dressing.
  5. Put the chicken into a bowl large enough to hold all the salad ingredients. and add the sliced green onions and dressing and toss until all the chicken is coated with dressing.  
  6. Add the avocado and any lime juice in the bottom of the bowl and gently combine with the chicken. Then add the chopped cilantro and gently mix into the salad, just until it is barely combined.
  7. Enjoy

I enjoy mine with wheat thins, or just straight out of the bowl with a spoon!

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my all-time favorite lunch recipes. It is so dang good!

    ReplyDelete