Tuesday, April 5, 2011

she's nothin' but country...

Now, I love me some Lil Wayne, Bone Thugs & Harmony, old school B.I.G. and lots of other amazing rap music - but I also adore my country music too, after all, I am from the South.

One of my favorite country artists is Jason Aldean.

I swear, every song he sings is about Edgecombe County and my life. I love it.

I love all the music he's released ranging from his beautiful duet with Kelly Clarkson, "Don't You Wanna Stay" to his early songs like "Hicktown" and "Johnny Cash". The song he sang on the Academy of Country Music Awards the other night, "Dirt Road Anthem" is one of my favorites. I've heard it before, sung/rapped by Colt Ford & Bradley Gilbert, but it sounds even better coming from Jason.

Here are a few lyrics that make me think the song-writers/Jason probably visited my little town once upon a time (how else could they hit the nail on the head so easily?).

Yeah I'm chillin' on a dirt road
Laid back swervin' like I'm George Jones
Smoke rollin' out the window
An ice cold beer sittin' in the console
Memory lane up in the headlights
It's got me reminiscing on them good times
I'm turnin' off a real life drive and that's right
I'm hittin' easy streat on mud tires

...And all this small town he said, she said
Ain't it funny how rumors spread?
Like I know somethin' y'all don't know,
man that talk is gettin' old
you better mind your business man,
watch your mouth
Before I have to knock that loud mouth out
I'm tired of talkin' man y'all ain't listenin'
Them ol' dirt roads, is what y'all missin'

I sit back and think about them good old days
They way we were raise in our southern ways
And we like cornbread and biscuits
And if it's broke 'round here we fix it
I can take y'all where you need to go
Down to my hood back in them woods
We do it different 'round here that's right
But we sure do it good and we do it all night
So if you really want to know how it feels
To get off the road with trucks and four wheels
Jump on in and man tell your friends
We'll raise some hell where the black top ends

2 comments:

  1. I came upon your blog from "What I'm Playing Thursday" I'm a new reader, no blog of my own yet but maybe soon! If you like Jason Aldean you should check out Brantley Gilbert, he actually wrote Dirt Road Anthem as well as My Kind of Party...he's an awesome country boy too, great sound! My favorite song of his is "She's My Kind of Crazy" :-)

    ReplyDelete