Friday, July 8, 2011

DIY Friday: Purple Pirate Tiered Tray


Okay , EVENTUALLY this will be a link-up thing. Like when I have time to plan that out and comment back on everyone who posted and such. But for now, it is just me telling you about my craftiness.

I am hosting a Pirate Shower for my cousin-in-law Michelle and her hubby Eric who are expecting a baby boy in September (yay a playmate for Sawbug!). So I need purple serving ware. Need.


Well, it's expensive. So instead I found a lovely DIY tutorial (on Pinterest of course) for how to make a tiered serving apparatus and decided I could do it AND paint it purple (and possibly re-use it later by painting it again).

Here is the original tutorial I found at Joy's Hope. 
Here's what you'll need:
2 oval/round baking pans or serving trays (depending on what you can find cheapest)
Glass candle stick holder
hot glue
multi-surface spray paint

Here is what you'll do:

1) Buy large round baking sheet then smaller round baking pan and a glass candle stick holder from Dollar Store ($1/piece = $3)

2) Paint with Multi-Surface spray paint (I found a lovely purple at Lowe's for $5)

3) Hot glue bottom of candle holder to inside of larger baking pan

 4) Place candle holder on pan and press HARD to make it stay

5) Put glue on top of candle stick holder and on designated spot where you want it to hit on bottom of second level

6) Put second pan on top of candle stick holder and VOILA!

tiered serving tray! Obviously you can make it three levels, but I plan on putting a dip on the top rounded pan then the chips/crackers for the dip on the bottom pan so I only needed two levels.

I found a similar one on Ebay for $33.99 so I think I def. got out easier with my $6 version!

4 comments:

  1. I love this! I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like yours way better than the funky ebay one!

    good idea to do dip on top and chips on bottom.
    love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look wonderful! I bet you could do that with the different sizes of terra cotta pot saucers (the bottom of the pot)

    ReplyDelete