Friday, September 5, 2014

DIY Covered Lamp Shade

Since I decided to recover a lot of Sawyer's nursery stuff for baby number 2 (after not being able to find a bedding set I liked), I knew I was going to need to re-cover a lampshade and paint a lamp base that I already had to match the recovered bumper (which I still need to make...) and the curtains.  I had an old iron-base lamp that I'd already painted pink once with a plain white lamp shade in the old guest bedroom so I knew it would be the perfect one to re-do. After spray-painting the base red, I got ready to recover the shade using this tutorial.

  • lamp shade
  • craft paper (or any large piece of thick paper)
  • scissors
  • pen
  • fabric
  • hot glue
  • ribbon
  • pins


1. Lay out your craft paper and place your lamp on top of it with the seam of the shade down. 

2. Roll the lamp shade around the paper, tracing the bottom as you go, until the seam is down again. Then roll it back, tracing the top to create a template. 


3. Cut our your template. I held mine up against my lamp to be sure it was actually covering the lamp where needed. 

4. Lay our template on your fabric, pinning it it place (or taping) to be sure it doesn't slip and slide all over the place. Add about an inch to the top, bottom & one side to give you some room to work with when you actually glue it to the shade. I forgot to take a picture of this, so see below photo from "Momtastic: DIY"



5. Apply a line of hot glue around the top of your shade and roll the fabric onto the shade leaving the extra inch hanging above and below the bottom, making sure to smooth out any wrinkles. Once in place, add a line of hot glue around the bottom and secure the fabric. Don't worry about how your fabric looks where it meets, we'll address that later!

6. This part got a little a little tricky. As you can probably see in the second photo, my shade had little support beam things in the top that went down to the part where the light bulbs screws in to hold the shade to the base. I cut little notches in the extra fabric at the top so it would fold down around the little beams. Then I put little lines of hot glue on the inside of the shade between the beams and pulled the fabric over the edge and down onto the glue. The bottom part was much easier, I just applied hot glue to the inside of the bottom of the shade then pulled the fabric around to the glue. I once again didn't get a photo of this (mainly because I was nursing several glue gun burns), so see below photo from "Momtastic: DIY", they used clothespins to hold their fabric in place, I didn't have to since my hot glue cools pretty quickly and therefore the fabric stayed in place by itself. 



7.  Because I was using my little transportation fabric with different roads, cars & signs and such, it was pretty easy to see the ugly seam where my fabric ends met. To hide that, I hot glued a strip of coordinating grosgrain ribbon over the seam then placed two more (equally spaced) pieces of ribbon around the shade. I added it to my painted base and TA-DA, new lamp for the nursery.



Check out my other DIY stuff for the nursery such as the curtains and the felt mobile!

No comments:

Post a Comment