Thursday, September 9, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love

I finally went and saw "Eat, Pray, Love" with my beautiful mother and sister this past Saturday. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't the BEST movie I've ever seen either.

I adored the "Eat" part of the movie a LOT and as a pregnant woman, my stomach growled through Julia Roberts/Liz's entire Italian journey.
The food looked amazing and I loved the message that Liz gave her friend Sofi about letting herself enjoy her food no matter the "muffin top" she'd developed. She asked Sofi if during all the times she'd ever taken her clothes off in front of a man, did he ever ask her to put them back on? And of course the answer was no because once a man has a naked woman in his room, he isn't going to make any sort of request like that.

Being one who enjoys food and hates to hear people say "Eat to live, don't live to eat", I truly loved watching someone take the time to taste and indulge in a plate of yumminess instead of counting the calories in their head while they pick at their food.
Now... Pray, which took place in India, wasn't my favorite. Her time trying to understand religion and meditation at a Guru's temple wasn't translated very well into film, but I think the main reason I disliked it was because of how hard she had to work to be a part of this "religion". She only started liking the Guru lady and the thought of meditation after dating a guy (yummy James Franco) who was into it, so I am not sure why she threw herself into it so hard. Maybe I didn't appreciate "Pray" because I don't know a lot about the religion and can't understand their beliefs?

"Love" was my favorite part of the movie. This probably had a lot to do with my infatuation with the beautiful Javier Bardem.

Not to mention how absolutley breath-taking Bali is. The houses where Liz and Felipe stay are just beyond my wildest dreams of where I'd want to live with their inside/outside living areas and earthy decorations.

The love story is great and I enjoyed how Javier Bardem's character wasn't overly mascaline, calling his children "darling", kissing them on the mouth, being a great cook and not being scared to admit he was falling in love or cry.
All-in-all, the movie wasn't bad but it wasn't a must-see. It is certainly a girly movie meant for a group of girlfriends or a mother-daughter day and tells a wonderful story of discovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment