Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Loaded Baked Potato Chicken Casserole

I found a great recipe for Loaded Baked Potato Chicken Casserole from "My Sweet Little Steiner Family" and had to try it. After all, with a recipe title like that, what isn't to love?

Since the cutting up of the ingredients and the pre-roasting of the potatoes takes a little while (and since my husband has no patience when he is hungry and thinks every meal should be ready by 5:30pm), I prepared the potatoes the night before so that they were ready the next night for the chicken and other ingredients.

Here's how you can make Loaded Baked Potato Casserole!

Ingredients:

  • 2 lbs chicken breasts, cubed or shredded
  • 10-12 small red potatoes diced (I used 6 medium red potatoes)
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 Tbsp. Tabasco sauce ( I added this for a little kick)
  • 1/2 Tbsp. oregano (I added this just because I like a little herb taste in my taters)
  • 1 Tbs. freshly ground pepper
  • 2 Tbsp. salt
  • 1/2 Tbs. garlic powder
  • 2 c. Mexican Blend Cheese
  • 1/2 c. crumbled bacon (I substituted "real" bacon bits)
  • 1/2 c. chopped green onion (I forgot this ingredient, oops)
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Wash and cut your potatoes. As I said above, I had medium-sized red potatoes so I only used 6. I also use an apple corer/slicer to cut my potatoes because it is SO much easier than quartering them by hand. I just half the potatoes then use the apple slicer to cut them into pieces. If the slices are too large, I just half them.



2. Mix the olive oil, Tabasco, garlic, pepper and salt. Pour over potatoes and shake to really coat the potatoes in the seasoning.

3. Place the potatoes into a greased baking dish, leave as much of the mix as possible.  Bake potatoes for 1 hr, stirring the potatoes every 15-20 mins. Check with a fork to ensure the potatoes are done.


4. While the potatoes are baking, cut your chicken into hunks and pour in the bowl that that potatoes were seasoned in. Mix the chicken around so it can be covered in the leftover seasoning from earlier. Pour the chicken into a skillet and cook through until chicken is practically done (just a little pink)

5. Combine the cheese and crumbled bacon (or bacon bits like I used) along with the green onion (which I didn't use) in a separate bowl.

6.  Once the potatoes are finished, dump the chicken on top of the potatoes, spreading out as evenly as possible. Cover the chicken & potatoes with the cheese mixture. Turn the oven temperature down to 400 degrees and put the dish into the oven. Cook about 10 to 15 minutes until the cheese is melted and the chicken is cooked through.


7. Serve with sour cream or ranch dressing (or nothing at all) and enjoy!


3 comments: