Tuesday, August 24, 2010

movies make my world go round


There are some movies that make me angry, sad, feel like a kid, laugh or fall in love EVERY time I watch them, not matter how many times I have seen them.


Tons of movies make me laugh, like "Christmas Vacation", "The Hangover", "Young Frankenstein" and "Monty Python: Search for the Holy Grail" but the one that never gets old is In and Out.

Kevin Kline is a high school drama teacher that gets called out for being gay even though he is convinced he isn't and is engaged to a woman (the hilarious Joan Cusack). There's a scene where he listens to an instructional tape on how to be a "manly man" and it is truly the funniest thing I have witnessed. I won't ruin the ending for you, but it is absolutely hilarious. With Tom Selleck, Matt Dillon and Bob Newhart rounding out the cast, it is a must see and guaranteed to make you laugh until you can't breathe.


Movies have always been a big part of my life. My Mema Kay took me to movies all the time as a kid and I was well known at our local movie rental store. The movie that reminds me of my childhood and makes me want to go back is Now & Then

A story about four childhood best friends growing up in the 1970s and facing family problems, boy issues and a scary mystery and the group coming back together again when one is about to have a baby. My three best friends and I watched this every time we had a sleepover. I was Samantha (played by Gaby Hoffmann then Demi Moore) who was a writer. Such a great movie that makes me wish I could have bottled those young, carefree moments of Friday night sleepovers and giggle-fests.


I may be getting a little overly controversial with this one, but I am going to go there any way. Only a few things make me truly angry, movies like "Crash" and "Religulous" being two of them. But the one that makes me the angriest is Milk

"Milk" is the story of Harvey Milk, California's first openly-gay elected official. The movie is wonderful telling the story of Milk and his crew and how their fight for rights, equality and respect inspired so many. It makes me so sad to see how our views toward gay people haven't changed that much in more than 30 years.
Leviticus 18:6 may say "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female. It is an abomination." but Romans 3:23 says "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God" AND Romans 2:1 says "Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things."
Basically, yes homosexuality is a sin according to the Bible, but we are ALL sinners and all sins are equal. We have no right to judge ANYONE, because not a single of us is perfect either. I've blogged about "Milk" and my opinion on this before. And I will continue to stand up for what I believe.



Now, I could list a ton of movies here: ANYTHING by Nicholas Sparks that's been turned into a film, "An Officer & a Gentleman" and many more. But an old classic fills me with love every time I see it: Somewhere in Time

If you haven't seen this movie. Go rent it NOW.
I can't even summarize this movie in 100 words or less so here is what IMDB says "Young writer Richard Collier (Christopher Reeve) is met on the opening night of his first play by an old lady who begs him to "Come back to me". Mystified, he tries to find out about her, and learns that she is a famous stage actress from the early 1900s, Elise McKenna (Jane Seymour). Becoming more and more obsessed with her, he manages, by self hypnosis, to travel back in time where he meets her. They fall in love, a matching that is not appreciated by her manager. Can their love outlast the immense problems caused by their "time" difference? And can Richard remain in a time that is not his?".
I loved this film so much that I the theme song was the song I came down the aisle to at my wedding.


Anyone will tell you that it takes nothing for me to shed a tear, but some movies just make me lose all control over my emotions. Once again anything by Nicholas Sparks causes the tears to flow, but the one that makes me cry the worst is Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood.

Yes, I do realize that this movie is supposed to be funny (which it is) but ever since Mema Kay's death, the movie makes me cry like an absolute baby. The books by Rebecca Wells are even better and cause even more tears.
The movie is about a woman named Siddalee (Sandra Bullock) who makes her eccentric mother, Vivianne (Ellen Burstyn) very angry in a very public way. To patch up their relationship, her mother's life-long friends the "Ya-Yas" kidnap Siddalee and take her to her hometown in Louisiana to explain to her why her mother is the way she is through a scrapbook and stories about the past.
The eccentric mother reminds me so much of Mema Kay in her ability to insult without realizing, speak without a filter and find the best way to irritate/love without even knowing it.

Now, go search your guide and DVR any of these movies if they're coming on anytime soon, request them through Netflix or visit the nearest Blockbuster. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment