Friday, August 13, 2010

Fashionable Friday: Mammy's House to Our House

When Josh and I were looking for homes we got caught in a pickle.
Our stipulations didn't seem like much to us.
We just wanted the house to
1) be in Edgecombe County
2) cost less than $120k
3)have a front porch
4) have a fairly good-sized back yard
5)be at least 1200 sq. ft.

Apparently that is A LOT to ask.
We toured fixer-uppers, SUPER fixer-uppers, tiny little homes in subdivisions and giant homes in the middle of nowhere with sketchy looking neighbors.
Josh and I had almost given up.
Then in early January my great grandma Sudie (Mammy to us) passed away. She was just a few months shy of 100 years old.
Now, don't get me wrong. Josh and I didn't immediately start measuring off rooms in my late Mammy's house or offering prices to my Papa and great-uncles.
The day after her funeral, my Papa started talking about my Uncle Jack having to try and sell her house in the terrible market and divide out all the money to pay her medical expenses, full-time aid and such.
I started getting sad thinking about some stranger living in a house that had been part of our family and holidays for so long. Then a light bulb went off.
Josh and I could buy the house!
It had everything we needed: a front porch, three bedrooms, 1.5 bathrooms, a good sized kitchen, a GREAT backyard and was located right in Macclesfield at the end of a dead-end street where we knew every neighbor.
Sure it needed some updating and new appliances, but with the money we'd save on buying a perfect house we could probably afford to fix it.
So, despite it having absolutely atrocious carpet, dark wood paneling and a semi-awkward layout, Josh and I paid a very reasonable price (1/2 of what our limit was) to my Papa & uncles and became home-owners.
Next week I am going to spend every day talking about the changes we made to make Mammy's house into our own and the problems we encountered while doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment