Thursday, September 20, 2012

Pocket Tee DIY

I made my own monogrammed pocket t-shirt this week to wear to the UNC vs. ECU game! And here is how...

I keep dying over these great pocket t-shirts I've seen all over the web.... then really dying when I saw the price of a simple cotton tee just because it has a fancy pocket...

$29.99 at Just for Me Sewing
$36.99 at Marley Lilly
So when I saw a great tutorial at College Prep, I decided I could easily do this myself!

I used a little bit of a different method from her, because I struggled BIG time with my monogram, but here we go...

T-Shirt ~ I used a Hanes t-shirt from Hobby Lobby

Two coordinating pieces of fabric ~ Since I am doing mine for a game, I of couse used purple & yellow, I just got a 1/4 of a yard of each, with plenty to spare

Iron-On Adhesive ~ I used Heat n Bond, and since my fabric was actually making a pocket that needed to be open instead of covering an existing pocket, I got the roll of Heat n Bond so I could add the strips to the edges instead of cutting a big sheet of Heat n Bond into strips.

Iron, Pen & Scissors


1.) Since I bought a t-shirt without a pocket, I started by finding a pattern for a pocket, so I could make sure I had the measurements right. Since I wanted a bigger pocket I added an inch to the wide and 1/2 an inch to the height.
via
2.) Using the pattern, I traced and cut out a pocket from my purple material.

3.) Once my pocket was cut out, I put on my t-shirt and marked where I wanted my pocket to go, because trust me, a shirt laying down on the table looks completely different from a shirt on your body. I do NOT recommend just predicting where the pocket will be on your shirt when it's laying down flat.

4.) After applying the strips of Heat n Bond all over the edges of my pocket and after ironing them in place, I removed the backing of the adhesive and ironed the pocket to my shirt.


5.) Then came the task of doing the monogram, I tried two different ways that weren't like College Prep's method, mainly because I tried and tried but couldn't free-hand my circle monogram. Here is what you should & shouldn't do.

Method #1 (Failed Attempt) DO NOT DO THIS
For my first try, I thought I could just print out a monogram using this great printable from ForChicSake and trace it to the fabric before applying it to the Heat n Bond strips.



WRONG


I hung it on the door window (better light - even if it did look exceptionally ghetto) and traced it to my fabric, but it was WAY too light and I could hardly read it, and of course the fabric was so flimsy and therefore hard to cut. #DIYFail

6.) (the method that actually worked) I printed out the monogram on transfer paper that you use to iron designs on t-shirts. This way, I could just iron the monogram onto my fabric (on the back side) then cut it out that way before applying to my Heat n Bond tape.

The big thing about this is remembering to print your monogram backwards, since you'll be putting in on the BACK of your fabric. The paper backing makes the fabric a lot more durable and easier to cut. 

7.) Iron the monogram onto fabric by following directions on your transfer paper packet, I laid my design down, covered it with parchment paper then ironed it on!

8.) Cut out the letters and iron your Heat n Bond to the back of them. Remember, if you got the sheet of Heat n Bond instead of the roll like I got, you should probably iron the letters on first then cut them out so you just cut the Heat n Bond and letters at the same time. 

I cut my Heat n Bond strips to the same size of the letter, applied them to my letters, ironed them together then trimmed the edges.




ready to be ironed!

9.) Starting with your center letter, peel the back off the adhesive and apply to your pocket. Iron your letter in place then space your other letters accordingly. 

10.) TA-DA! A $30 shirt for only about $13.


I am game-day ready! I realize my monogram instructions are probably a little difficult to understand, I would definitely suggest watching this video (that I found on College Prep's site) if my instructions were too crazy to comprehend - she used a different method that might be easier. 


8 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I love the purple and gold of course. Definitely a much better alternative to ordering one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out fabulously! I'm impressed since I am definitely not crafty enough to pull that off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Freaking adorable!!! I have GOT to try this now. I wanna make myself one and then try one for my sis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. uhm...love this!!!!! and I love you shared what not to do too...that's always helpful when crafting lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really cute. I have done sorority letters on t shirts, but I sew around the edges to keep them from raveling. That would be a nightmare with this kind of monogram. Does the monogram stay intact without raveling with the method you are using?

    ReplyDelete